. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    can anyone give me a link for Chai/Linearmotionbearings2008 cant find on ebay... put user name in the sellers field in advanced search and just get everyone

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    It's one or both of these
    Last edited by cropwell; 06-01-2015 at 08:24 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

thanks cropwell

more questions..... have I got this right?

ballscrew sizes... fixed & floating bearing for mounts (BK & BF?)
    x axis approx. 1000mm between bearings, 20mm screw, 5mm pitch, critical speed about 2000rpm = 10m/min?
    Y axis approx. 780mm between bearings, 16mm screw, 5mm pitch, critical speed in excess of 3000rpm=15+m/min
    z axis approx. 400mm between bearings, 12mm screw.. critical speed<6000rpm

does this look ok?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike os View Post

x axis approx. 1000mm between bearings, 20mm screw, 5mm pitch, critical speed about 2000rpm = 10m/min?
    Y axis approx. 780mm between bearings, 16mm screw, 5mm pitch, critical speed in excess of 3000rpm=15+m/min

does this look ok?
    It probably would be Ok with 16mm screws all round but in general for wood 10mm pitch would be used for x and y and 5mm pitch for Z ..Clive

If you order ball screws then refer to the 'standard machining' diagram and request dimension F = 30 mm, this will give you enough length to fit a pulley otherwise it's a bit short.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

no where near ordering yet,,,, lol, I wish

I put 5mm pitch as it seems to be used a lot, any thoughts on 5 or 10mm pitch? not really worried about rapids as only a small machine

I was recommended 10 mm pitch for X and Y and 5 mm pitch for Z, I use a 1:1 ratio pulley/belt drive and it works very nicely.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by mike os View Post

does this look ok?
    Nah at this size don't bother using differant size screws just go with 16mm all round and use 10mm pitch for X & Y 5mm on Z axis.
    Critical speed isn't an issue if using steppers as you'll never get stepper to spin above 3000rpm and have any torque left.

One reason for 16mm is the intertia is less so you can have slightly higher acceleration. Connect the motors to screws with timing belts and pulleys to help with resonance but the other reason is that if you find you need higher resolution or more torque then you can apply a ratio to increase.

10mm pitch gives a good balance of speed and resolution. 5mm is ok if you need high resolution but not so much speed. This is why 5mm on Z axis because resolution is more important in this axis. Also the larger 10mm pitch means the motor/screw is spinning half the speed of 5mm pitch for the same feedrate. IE: 5mtr/min on 5mm pitch=1000rpm compared to 500rpm for same feed rate with 10mm pitch.
    This puts the motor in better place on the motors speed curve giving more torque while cutting and still gives half decent feedrates. It also means the screw is spinning half the speed so less chance of whip for same feedrate as 5mm pitch.!
    For cutting woods and plastics correctly you'll definately want 10mm pitch on X & Y for the faster feed rates.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 08-01-2015 at 07:11 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information