. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This was not a project particularly relevant to this forum, but since it involves machining and is generally an exciting project, I think people here might be interested in hearing about it...

Over the summer this year I was involved with building and racing an electric motorbike, for the University of Nottingham PEMC research group. We started with an existing motorbike frame (Suzuki GSXR-600) which had been raced as an electric bike previously, but stripped down so we started off with a heap of parts:

1 month later:

Our rider was Jeremiah Johnson, a professional rider from Hawaii. He arrived in Nottingham shortly before the first race and stayed for the whole season. The bike was not quite finished when we had to leave for the first race in Assen, so the finishing touches, connecting all the batteries and battery management system, were only completed in the early hours before the first race in Assen. During practice Jeremiah told us that the bike had much less power than expected. We found that this was due to a fault with the motor controllers, which after working late into the night again we managed to fix in time for the race, securing 3rd place.
    The subsequent races, in Anglesea, Hockenheim, Donnington and Silverstone were just as eventful. After each race we fixed any broken parts and made improvements. The first upgrade was to lighten parts of the frame, by cutting metal out where not needed and replacing some parts with carbon fibre. Another member of the team put a lot of effort into the bodywork and painted the fairings - something we didn't have time to do before the first race. Later on I added ducted fans to increase the airflow over the motors in the hope that this would let us extract more power from them.
    Racing was quite an unfamiliar experience for most of the people involved. Compared with having plenty of equipment in the lab it was a stark contrast to be at a race track with only what we had remembered to take. This meant there was much improvising to keep the bike working whilst at the track. The electric bike racing attracted a lot of interest from some petrol racers and fans. I was frequently asked what the top speed and range of the bike were - about 105mph and 120 miles, though not at the same time! The race at Donington included petrol bikes on the track at the same time as us though in a separate race. It was good to see the electric bikes proving they were competitive against petrol, though less good when a petrol rider blocked Jeremiah on the penultimate corner, preventing him from taking 3rd place.
    We achieved third overall in the race series, which was pleasing given the short timescale available to work on the bike and considering also that this was our first racing experience! The race series has given us valuable experience and data which we can use to improve our standing next season.

For next season I have negotiated a sponsorship deal with Parker for the motor and the plan is to race the bike in the Isle of Mann TT Zero in 5 months time. According to my simulation the new motor should get the bike to approach 180mph without much difficulty, for short periods at least.

I have got plenty of pictures of the bike, inside and out, so if people are interested I will post them. There are some videos and interviews featuring the teams that participated, including us, here on the IET website.

We're currently looking for sponsorship for the parts required for the upcoming races (TT zero and moto-e), so if you're reading this and works for a company that manufactures something related, please do get in touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10537098_495139020620932_2534168870465086496_n.jpg 
Views:	1656 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	14074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09559_small.jpg 
Views:	2057 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	14075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5fc5bf7eb5dca64042f0ea9e2e0771e9-original-img_5154_2.jpg 
Views:	1700 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	14076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09651@1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	14077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09649@2.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	14078  
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Cool project. This sounds like something channel 4 would be interested in for their programme about speed with the TT racer Guy Martin.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I think Cool Project sums it up!
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I think Cool Project sums it up!
    A while ago; whilst visiting Jonathon at his house, he let me have a go at an electric push bike he had made. I would consider myself to be quite a "daring" individual, also overweight.

However, I lost my bottle at half-throttle. this thing went like a scalded cat

The work you have done on this motorbike is a credit to you Jon; I cant think of a better person to be involved in such an exciting project. well done.

Dont "sell out" for an office job like I did!!!
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 16-12-2014 at 09:28 AM.

SACRILEGE BLOODY Sacrilegeeeeee I'm still in mourning for smokers and sweet smell of "Castrol R" and adjusting to those valve murdering strokers was bad enough but if they end up making everyone go to these Silent whinners I'm coming to hunt your lot down and wire your balls to those lithium Ion assassins and drain every last bit of juice into your ball sacks.!! .

BUT well done and excellent just the same hats off to you all. . (Just keep off our noisy smelly bikes we love so much.!)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 17-12-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Know what you mean Dean, have tried to persist with Formula E but it's S***e
    without the whine of an internal combustion engine.

Thank you for the, er.. varied comments so far...

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    (Just keep off our noisy smelly bikes we love so much.!)
    It's a bit late for that. In some of the practice sessions and one of the races at Donnigton we were racing at the same time as petrol bikes. They started us off 10s after 600cc (I think) petrol bikes and if you compare the time the electric bike who won our race got with the petrol race, he'd have been in the top 10.

Eddy, I'll see you and your bike at the next race then?

Here's one part I machined for the bike. I didn't actually machine many parts as the health and safety rules prevent me from using the workshops at uni, so I mainly did electrical stuff. The part is a heatsink for the speed controller on the ducted fan that helps cool the motors - one on each side. Wall thickness is 1mm or less:

Thermal image from after a race and testing batteries:

Name:	DSC06512.JPG 
Views:	1273 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	14147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06521.jpg 
Views:	1279 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	14148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06520.jpg 
Views:	1267 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	14149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR000483.jpg 
Views:	1265 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	14150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR000471.jpg 
Views:	1254 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	14151  

We're almost ready now. First qualifier is on Friday...

Name:	11401104_459336017564519_6556052782419351124_n.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	15449  

How much does it weigh Jonathan.? The squareness makes it look heavy but sure it's not.!

Good Luck to the Team.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    How much does it weigh Jonathan.? The squareness makes it look heavy but sure it's not.!
    Got any scales?

Seriously, we've not had the bike all together yet so it's not been weighed and it doesn't look like there are scales for bikes on this island! We'll weigh it when we can, but I guess about 230-240kg. The batteries are the main weight at ~87kg. The frame hardly weighs anything - it's 7xxx series aluminium.

Can anyone spot the bits I made ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information