. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Leicester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-10-2016 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 19.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    To be honest if you haven't got metal working tools or skills to weld the frame then I'd encourage you to pay someone to weld it up because it will work out cheaper in the end. Metal is relatively cheap and will cost less than high quality ply woods or man made boards which will be required for any decent machine worth the effort.

Regards the costs, wood or metal then unless your prepared to throw minimum £1000 at it then I'd suggest you leave it alone and save your money. Even at £1k it will be a challenge to build a machine worth the considerable effort required for any decent machine.! . . . . To try and build for less only leads to dissapointment in the end.!
    Thanks Jazz. I think this will be version 2 of the machine. But who knows it may have to end up being done this way anyway.

Lives in Leicester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-10-2016 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 19.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    you can buy ali extrusion cut to length at no extra cost
    Thanks, defiantly going to have a look at these. ebay best place to start looking?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBo View Post
    Im still in the process of haveing to google everything people mention at the moment. I amm assuming that these drivers are the main control for the motors, which recieve instruction from the PC/Software.
    Matt(kingcreaky) was meaning to stay away from these.!!

Honestly best advise is do or buy nothing yet untill you have properly researched what your doing and working with. Jumping in feet first is 100% guaranteed to waste your money and time.
    Then hopefully after doing this you'll realise that MDF/draw slide approach isn't worth the time or money and go straight with doing it correctly first time. This doesn't mean throwing loads of cash at it either, it can still be done relatively cheaply with careful buying and patience along with a little help guidance from others.

MDF/Draw slides path is time & money wasted on what could be good cheap machine that will return any investment if no longer required which isn't the case other way around.!! . . .It's scrap bin fodder.!

As im being quoted, I feel the need to re-post for clarity

I stated my first machine was made using drawer runners, printer steppers and mdf... I didnt point out how shockingly bad it was!!!

think how much "play" there is in drawer runners.... then imagine what that would do if you were engraving on something mounted to them

Have a guess how long you think it would take before the screws holding the mdf machine together work there way loose in the soft mdf material and the entire thing starts wobbling.

and mentioning the TB650 driver; was meant, in a bid to try and warn you against it...

read carefully what people have wrote here; they are all right. Although it is "possible" to make a machine using household items... it may not necessarily do what you want it to do.

dont buy any electronics before reading and asking here first.

Thanks, defiantly going to have a look at these. ebay best place to start looking?
    kjn aluminium was the best place I found and the cuts were very accurate and square.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    kjn aluminium was the best place I found and the cuts were very accurate and square.
    Nah too expensive try Motedis. http://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/index.php

Exactly same stuff and cut to same accurecy but much cheaper, esp the T-nuts etc.
    Takes slightly longer to arrive due to being in Germany but not much longer and worth the wait for the savings.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 17-12-2014 at 02:36 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I'm another MDF router builder/user. Fortunately, I bought the steppers/electronics with a view to building a better machine later so the biggest investment is largely reusable. However, the MDF (plus added steel supports to try to keep the bed roughly flat) and the steel tube/skate bearing runners didn't cost that much. However, they did largely influence the incredibly slow movement of the machine, due to lack of strength and rigidity. The only thing moving faster than the gantry was the MDF bed (and the gantry, and the Z axis platform) warping...

Yes, it can work, kind of, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It taught me a lot, and the biggest lesson was why I am now building a welded steel-framed machine. Welding (strong if not pretty) is not that difficult, and almost any welding problem can be fixed with a cheap angle grinder and rewelding. DAMHIKTIJKOK?

same as Charlie ;) i doubt very much you would find cheaper the kjn if you went in and seen em with them being local to you,get your gear there n then also.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nah too expensive try Motedis. http://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/index.php

Exactly same stuff and cut to same accurecy but much cheaper, esp the T-nuts etc.
    Takes slightly longer to arrive due to being in Germany but not much longer and worth the wait for the savings.
    yes looks to be about 20% cheaper as you have to add vat to kjn prices but maximum length is 2m however that would be fine for the above build. Still if he is in Leicester it can be nice to support local and would be very handy for picking up those few fixings you all ways forget

I'll have a look at both, thanks guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information