. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all, I have an Altivar 28 inverter that I bought new but surplus some years ago that has been sitting under the bench ever since. I have finally got round to fitting a 3 phase motor on my VMB so want to bring it into use. I have lashed it up to a motor to test and it runs sweetly but only up to a max frequency of 50 Hz. Please, does anyone know the magic spell to configure the inverter to run up to 100 Hz from the front panel without needing to connect it to the remote keyboard?

Thanks, John.

You need to change a parameter in the drive to override default 50hz max frequency.
    Quick look at manual I think it's in "drc" menu and parameter code "tfr". Set it to 100hz or what ever you want then the up/down arrow on the key pad will let you go to that as maximum.

John,
    If you're asking about that it makes me wonder if you have the motor parameters set up correctly.
    Referring to this manual; http://www2.schneider-electric.com/r...g%20manual.pdf
    It's always a good idea to start off with factory default settings, page 55
    Then set up the motor parameters, Page 59 (ItH) and Page 62
    As Jazz says the max. freq. parameter is on page 63

Also, Is the connected motor designed to run at that frequency / speed ? you don't want it flying apart or the bearings siezing.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 17-12-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

The setup is as supplied, with factory default settings. As loads of people describe using inverters to run induction motors at higher speeds and I've seen no reports of motors flying apart, I think I'll take the risk! After all I very much doubt that they would use different rotor design or bearings if this was a 2 pole 2800 rpm motor and not a 4 pole 1425 one.

Jazz, thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl this weekend. I must say that of all the manuals I've seen this must be one of the very worst.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    Jazz, thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl this weekend. I must say that of all the manuals I've seen this must be one of the very worst.
    Nah they are all written like that.!! I think they do it to scare away the numpty's but that tactic doesn't work with this numpty..

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nah they are all written like that.!! I think they do it to scare away the numpty's . . .
    Which might be a good thing considering the damage that can be done. With inverters the size we are talking about it's not so bad, hopefully just financial damage, but with a large motor it should be left to those who know what it all means.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 20-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Well I tweaked the max frequency as suggested but the maximum speed I can dial in using a pot is still only 50 Hz, and as currently configured only the pot controls the speed, not the keypad. Hmm...

So Eddy, if the manual is about as impenetrable as a medieval episcopal document, how do you think one finds out what it all means? Don't you think if something is hazardous it should be explained clearly so it's easy to understand what the dangers are? The problem is that this manual was clearly written by the designer who knew how the think worked to start with. It should have gone to a decent technical author who could ask the right questions and put himself in the user's shoes.

My concern is purely the safety of everyone, I have no other agenda with regard to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    So Eddy, if the manual is about as impenetrable as a medieval episcopal document, how do you think one finds out what it all means?
    Like anything else it's called, Training, in that particular field.

As the manual says, page 4.

"Electrical equipment should be installed,
    operated, serviced, and maintained only by
    qualified personnel. No responsibility is
    assumed by Schneider Electric for any
    consequences arising out of the use of this
    material."
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 21-12-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information