. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Joe,

Yes you're right, I see that Arc don't sell ball screws any more. I have ordered other stuff from Zapp Automation who seem to be very good, and they offer machining services for ball screws I think.

No, he doesn't use a stepper driven spindle. Nor does Tony I think? IIRC Tony uses an electronic lead screw driver - http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=ELS+Price+List - which uses a spindle sensor and synchronises the z drive to it. Frankly I don't see the point when you can use a full cnc system for not much more money.

Mach 3 and LinuxCNC both accept spindle pulses and synchronise the feed for screw cutting. Cncyourmyford uses LinuxCNC as this seems to give better results, as it has two sensors, giving one pulse per rev to sync the thread, and a larger number of pulses per thread (e.g. 64) to monitor the spindle speed. His package includes a ready configured LinuxCNC image. I use Mach3 and so far haven't had much luck with threading, I'm going to try the Linux version sometime at least on the lathe. Mach has only a single pulse per rev sensor and can't cope very well if the spindle slows when the cut starts.
    Last edited by JohnHaine; 22-12-2014 at 10:32 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHaine For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    John
    Have you seen a link to cncyourmyford kit I have watched all the vids sometime ago but I never found a link to the kit he goes on about. I have a Super7 that I converted to cnc but used the original screws and I am thinking about putting ball screws on it. ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 23-12-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jconway651 View Post
    Kingcreaky: Im sure this is similar to the inverter ive ordered, and im not to pannicked about the initial wiring and getting it running. However im sure the process of controlling spindle speed through mach will confuse me plenty.
    No, if you ordered same as you said earlier you have a Jaguar drive, quite a good brand actually. Have you ordered a breakout board etc. yet ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 23-12-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Hi Clive, no I haven't but the email address in my post above reaches him and he has a brochure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHaine For This Useful Post:

Na i havent ordered a breakout board yet, was waiting for it all to arrive before ordering anything else.
    Im not really sure what i need to be buying in terms of the breakout board.
    I had planned to just get the motor fitted and working so i can continue to use lathe whilst i buy other bits ill need.

Hi Joe, FWIW the one I have is this:

http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/uniport.html

Does the job nicely, and he also has a ton of other components for diycnc (as you would expect!).

John.

J.

Just checking as i've had a little bit of progress and i'm after some more advice...
    So three phase inverter and motor are installed and working very nicely. Set up and wiring was really simple and took all of 30 mins including remote control box.
    Been machining titanium on the myford and the new motor has been more than man enough to take decent cuts.

I've just recently bought/ordered a R2005 ballscrew to replace the leadscrew which was slightly bent.
    Id have preferred to use the R1605 but wasn't large enough diameter to be machined down for bearing diameter at the gearbox side.
    Does anyone have any images of how they mounted the ballnuts the the carriage/apron assembly?

I'm planning on using nema 23's and had seen this kit over at CNC 4 YOU
    http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Stepper-Mot...3.1Nm-x-2-Axis
    purely for ease of buying it all at once.

Or theres the SYS42MCFK kit from DIYCNC at £301
    http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/cnc_systems.html

Is there a better or cheaper way to do things, should i avoid either of these kit for any reason?
    Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on using nema 23's and had seen this kit over at CNC 4 YOU
    http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Stepper-Mot...3.1Nm-x-2-Axis
    purely for ease of buying it all at once.
    Is there a better or cheaper way to do things, should i avoid either of these kit for any reason?
    The 3.1Nm steppers from CNC4you are excellent and seem to be the cheapest around, so I'd go for those, but the kit is not much use as the power supply voltage is only 36V. You want about 75V for the motors to perform well.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Can you recommend somewhere that does suitable 75V supplies. Most hobby cnc sites dont seem to go past 36V.
    Will the difference between the 36V and 75V be that noticeable?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Can you recommend somewhere that does suitable 75V supplies. Most hobby cnc sites dont seem to go past 36V.
    Will the difference between the 36V and 75V be that noticeable?
    Yes. You could build one or see this http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...er-supply.html you can get it with a 12v or 5v integrated power supply ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 28-01-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information