. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nice, I'm new to the field but interested in making a machine one day, may I ask are those rails or ball screws on the yaxis? i really like this design and would copy it if you care to share where to get them? and based on my logic i would say they are rails, so where do you plan on mounting the ball screws? or whatever would drive the y axis? thanks!

KC, nice job looks good looks like New Holland combine yellow to me, just don't paint the gantry green

finished. installed into my buddys work yesterday.

Brilliant, and such a quick build. Great stuff. G.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Just goes to show what can be achieved in a small amount of time. I see you didn't go with the lime green gantry.
    Well done. ..Clive

Brilliant build, you've built 3 fantastic CNC machines in the time I've been fanning around with mine ;)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yes it's a great job, soon you'll be going into production.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

8. Well done, as expected, ridiculously quick! Just one question - doesn't all the crap fall into your X axis bearing, mounting it that way around? Some kind of guard might be a plan?!

Great job! I have a lot to learn from you about the "fast".

What size of steel profile was used? Whats the total weight of the machine? Did you thread the profile for the connections or the bolts are pass through?
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 19-01-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Just one question - doesn't all the crap fall into your X axis bearing,
    YEP!!!. Im working a anti-gravity machine.... or... mounting it upside down on the roof!...

Seriously; The extraction system will have a bottom rail to catch any falling dust.

my greater worry is the x bearings being used on their side...

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    What size of steel profile was used? Whats the total weight of the machine? Did you thread the profile for the connections or the bolts are pass through?
    * 60 x 60 x 6 and 100 x 60 x 6
    * Yep threaded hundreds of holes (got w*nkers wrist!)
    * I Dont believe any "nuts" are used.

Nobody has pointed out any faults?? I was expecting a wooping.... this is only techically mk1... mk2 Il learn from the mistakes on this one.

So; il be honest.

1.) The biggest mistake... I should of had the ends (both) of the X ballscrews threaded; so I could put them under tension. They do sag a bit under their own weight.

2.) linear bearings being used on etheir side? X???

3.) The Z movement is way too much... it probably only uses half of the travel available (so unnecessary weight on gantry)

4.) really needs twice as many bed support braces. The distance inbetween them in launghable... space for twice as many

5.) No water cooling yet for spindle in video

6.) No emergency stops; panic buttons etc

7.) Need to add proximity for auto-square; but where I had mounted the brackets didnt account for quite how tight the fit into the room would be. Il have to re-think.

Now thats out of the way; fitting a really noisy roller shutter door to my workshop/garage (just to wind up my new classy neghbours), and to allow me to squeeze my van in.

Im then spraying van; in workshop (old vw camper)

once thats gone; take delivery of my new bridgeport mill!!!! ssshhhh dont tell misses

then start building my new machine (like this one)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information