. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hi All

I was going to wait until Ive finished; but as its properly DEAD at work today, and ive exhaused ebay, and all of the forums I usually frequent under these circumstances, I thought id upload the pictures of my present build just in case anybody else is as bored as I.

I am building the machine for a friend, who will use the machine for cutting sheet ply. I started this end of last month and I aim to have it ready for start of January

The requirements for this build are as follows

* It is required to cut 8x4 sheet ply, 18mm thick with a 6mm cutter
    * It needs to be wall mounted (work will be screwed to the sacrificial base)
    * The room is 3m x 3m in which it will be used. So needs to be assembled on site.
    * Its a start-up company therefore finances are tight, it must be as cheap as possible.

The design is very similar to my other builds (same ali gantry design IL, thick 6mm steel frame) except this time Ive bolted the entire frame to allow for adjustment

Ive cut all the steel using his three phase suds cooled industrial chop saw; which enabled me to cut the steel extremely accurately. I achieved squareness by doing minimal welding, and lots of "bolt" fixing; measuring from corner to corner.

2510 fixed ballscrews with spinning nuts (thans jonathon)
    cheap chineese 860 drivers

heres the lazy design anyway (no ballscrews, or triangulation on frame)

and here is where I am so far.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plan1.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	14178  
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 22-12-2014 at 06:51 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kingcreaky For This Useful Post:

il post more, as I do more.
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 22-12-2014 at 06:51 PM.

You don't hang about once you start !. Call me biased but I think your gantry design is a good one
    Nice welding.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 22-12-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    You don't hang about once you start !. Call me biased but I think your gantry design is a good one
    I like the design of the gantry too.....only difference is that mine's in steel....

I'm not jealous of the speed in which you knock these fantastic machines up.....after all mine's only taken 4 years to get to the same stage you've reached in 4 weeks.....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thats looking really good KC. To think that you are able design and build a machine like that in 4-6 weeks in your garage (sorry - home workshop) is fantastic. I don't think you will have much time for darts this christmas!!! speaking of which "Merry Christmas" to you and all forum members. Well done. G.

Just thinking, are those SBR bearings designed to work on their side ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Just thinking, are those SBR bearings designed to work on their side ?

probably not!!. will see how they go!!. I only put them on to wind dean up... :D as I know how much he adores them.

only joking... they are like toys compared to hiwin type ones (now that I have used them to compare them)

it was only when (in another thread on here) the other day somebody pointed out how cheap the "proper" rails are now, that I started wishing id used them... oh well! next machine il use them.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    probably not!!. will see how they go!!. I only put them on to wind dean up... :D as I know how much he adores them.

only joking... they are like toys compared to hiwin type ones (now that I have used them to compare them)
    Doesn't whind me up if you want to put shite on your machines. .

10. Looking good! Loving the yellow. Hope you have a fun (and productive) Christmas...

Lives in a, Netherlands. Last Activity: 07-05-2020 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 46. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Very nice to be able to look at something different being well executed!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information