. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    You won't be laughing when I put a rotary table in the same hole
    Allan, with regard to your idea, I would sort out how the software is going to work first.
    Not laughing at you mate think you have done a marvelous job and credit to you for an old duffer. . .Lol
    By the way that same Rotary table on the end is just as functional if not more because you have a lathe as well as 4th axis if done right.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Not laughing at you mate think you have done a marvelous job and credit to you for an old duffer. . .Lol
    I know you're not laughing, get some London Porter down yer gob, from one old duffer to another
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I've been getting back into some programming after a very long time, I forgot how much fun it was so haven't been in the shed for a week.
    Anyway I've written a script for CamBam for cutting Finger Joints or Comb Joints and hopefully there will be more to come.
    I've attached it here but any future updates need to be downloaded from the CamBam forum; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4269.0
    Just look for this title; Woodworking Joints - Finger Joints Script

The zip file should be extracted to your CamBam scripts folder where it will create a sub folder with the form images in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interface.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	14297
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails joints manual 2.0.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 04-01-2015 at 04:38 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Second attempt, very pleased, this was the 'Antenna' preset pattern across a 58 mm width, 10mm thickness, cutter size 3 mm diameter. cutting time 5 minutes total.

Name:	oak_Joint.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	14304
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-01-2015 at 01:43 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Looking good Eddy nice work, a tip to avoid any break out on the back edges. Like at the top edge on the right hand bit of timber shown in the pic, use a bit of scrap even MDF to support the timber edge that is being cut. Another thing is to leave the finger slightly longer then sand down flush after gluing up.

Try doing something like a dovetail + finger joints, I would be interested to see how that comes out.
    Mike :)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to longy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    Looking good Eddy nice work, a tip to avoid any break out on the back edges. Like at the top edge on the right hand bit of timber shown in the pic, use a bit of scrap even MDF to support the timber edge that is being cut. Another thing is to leave the finger slightly longer then sand down flush after gluing up.

Try doing something like a dovetail + finger joints, I would be interested to see how that comes out.
    Mike :)
    Yes, thanks, I didn't bother about breakout this time because it was just a test and I didn't think it would turn out so good. I did leave an allowance for sanding flush, it's called Cleanup Allowance in the script, I left 0.1 mm but next time I might leave 0.2 mm.
    Dovetails might be next but I think these days they are over rated, I read that the only people who look for them are those interested in making them, that's why I went for finger joints, thinking the pattern was more eye catching to your regular punters.

Hi all,

I don't know much about CNC machines but I like the table cut out idea a lot and can see it could be very handy for many jobs. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Thanks

Suesi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to suesi34e For This Useful Post:

Looks good Eddy. G.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GEOFFREY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Dovetails might be next but I think these days they are over rated, I read that the only people who look for them are those interested in making them
    Dovetails are stronger and used mainly on drawers as when the wood shrinks the joint holds better, having said that with todays glues and kiln drying finger joints have started to out perform the old dovetail in strength and done correctly they can look as good as dovetail joints. Modern joinery has come a long way with most large and small projects being cut on CNC's of which I got to see a little one today.
    Not to big for a 5 axis machine with a cutting area of 1.5 x 7.5 Meters.

Did think about sticking it in the back of the car when no one was looking, but would need a slightly bigger workshop. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05579.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	14344  

Interesting video here; http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...ngth-test.aspx

Also I've updated the script, it does stock with different thicknesses and can work in the X or Y axis, here's a test today. I keep forgetting to specify an odd number of fingers in order to get a symetrical pattern on each piece.

Name:	test21A.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	14345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test21B.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	14346
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 08-01-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information