. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok well first I'll say forget Lazy cam it's hard work, outdated and unsupported.

With auto cad your half way there which is good and if you can use it all the better.

Next get some Cam software sorted ASAP. BobCad cam is Ok-ish and I do have it thou don't use it much these days but it will help you as I know it very well and it's a quirky program to use so having some one show the quirks will help.

To be honest half the battle with any Cam software is adjusting to how the actual software works rather than learning how individual cutting stratergies etc work.!

Like Ian says forget learning G-code at the minute. In practise you'll only want to learn G-code so you can monitor what's happening in Control as the G-code is ticking away or maybe the odd MDI (manual data input) command for setting up etc. Very rare do you write G-code for actually cutting anything these days.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 26-12-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    I think then I need to get some CAM software I was thinking of BobCAD V24 as I can get that reasonable or CamBam. I do not know which is best.
    I use CamBam, at first I thought it was basic and limiting when compared to other CAM software but the reverse is true. It includes some good CAD features for 2D work, lets you tweak loads of parameters, and can use scripts and plugins that users write to expand it's capabilities. It looks a bit daunting at first because it's 'nuts & bolts' rather than 'glossy brochure' stuff.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

3. Really it is horses for courses,

If I am doing work for a client that can be done in Aspire, that is the tool I use (still has a learning curve and still learning a lot with it). If it needs engineering edges I tend to use CamBam and have set things up for that purpose. Really it depends on what you are using it for and money and time. It took a good while to be able to afford Aspire. But aspire allows me to do drag and drop of pre made models to build finished products for clients and that saves time. It really depends on what you are using it for and what your CNC is for. Jazz is right though that doing a project with the software is the best option.

Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Hi Jazz,

Thank you for that. I see you have bobcad is it v24? Is there a better software for me to go with without spending silly money? I can draw in AutoCAD 2D OK not so go good on the 3D side of things, I just don't get time to play with it enough. If you cant think of anything better than bobcad I will go for that and see what we can do. I really appreciate your offer to help me, it should dig me out of a very deep hole!

Many thanks

Suesi

To get started why not look at one of the free packages, FreeMill is limited but OK to have a play with.

http://mecsoft.com/freemill/

As with any software, you will need to put some time in, it's the only way to learn I'm afraid.

Hi IanS1,

Many thanks for your msg and the link the software looks great for free. I am tempted to try that or bite the bullet and buy BobCAD. I guess Bobcad would be harder to learn as I imagine there is much more to it but I also think there would be more help with it. A tricky one!

Thanks very much for your help

Suesi

One of the best places to start is to arm yourself with patience and read some manuals. In that order. When you are finished you will know much more about everything.
    So RTFM!

You could go, download demos, click help and read the manuals. it doesnt matter that you will or not use the specific product. These have well written manuals that will help you much.

- Mach3
    - Aspire
    - CSMIO
    - MachStdMill
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I find it best these days to only learn what I need, and that means only when you get stuck on how to do something you NEED to do.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Hi silyavski,

Thank you for your msg and pointers. I had better get reading, I have mach3 I am going to get a manual printed next time I get to the printers.

Many thanks

Suesi

Hi EddyCurrent,

I see why you think only learn when you get stuck it makes a lot of sense. The only downside is I have so much to learn!

Many thanks

Suesi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information