. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi guys,

I could jot down what little I know about CNC machines on the back of a postage stamp and still have room to spare!

What I am after is a good book or someone on the south coast that could teach me a few bits here and there, happy to pay for someones time.

I like reading on here and learning what I can but I wonder if a good book would help me learn more. I don't want to buy a bundle of books if they are not very good or too advanced.

All the best

Suesi

I cant offer a huge amount but your welcome to take a look at what I have done. I was in a similar situation a year ago and some one offered the same which helped me so maybe it would hlp you a little. Im not the best person to probably seek advice but I couldn't find any one else on the south coast.

I think we could defiantly come up with a page on here that has a explanation and a few pictures of what a basic system is and all the terms and abbreviations mean. Its taken me a year to understand the basics of micro steps till I looked on Wikipedia lol

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your msg. I do not find learning CNC easy! I will study your threads and look on Wikipedia. It is the CAM and writing G code if find a bit tricky, I can see what the commands do but I get a bit of a job when it comes to putting them together.

Many thanks

Suesi

Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your msg. I do not find learning CNC easy! I will study your threads and look on Wikipedia. It is the CAM and writing G code if find a bit tricky, I can see what the commands do but I get a bit of a job when it comes to putting them together.

Many thanks

Suesi
    Suesi. The problem lies with how versatile CNC machines are and the range of use's that people do with them not to mention the huge range of software available that no one can write a book to cover all aspects good enough to do any justuce.

I help a lot of people with Cad, Cam and G-code, Mach3 etc and the best why I find folks learn is to have job to make. This applies all the way thru from Cad to Cutting.
    Just sitting down in front of software be that Cad, Cam or controller and trying to learn without a specific task makes learning very hard and boring.
    Practice and experimenting will learn you best and while time consuming hands on really is the only way you'll learn and retain.
    For someone to learn you enough to be any use and for you to retain what they have shown will take weeks or months. So really it's not practicle or econmical to try to pay someone as the amount of time required to fully sink is more than few hours or days can achieve.

Pick a job and give it a try. Start simple with 2D stuff first to get the basics down. Then work up to 3D etc from there.
    If you get stuck post up a thread and I for one will gladly help as will others I'm sure. After experimenting and cutting air with a few parts you'll soon be knocking parts up like a pro.

Don't worry too much about learning G-code at first as it's not required but it is very useful to know the basics so worth taking time to learn at the right time.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 26-12-2014 at 05:52 PM.

With todays CAD/CAM software, I would have thought learning anything but the basics of G Code isn't really needed to get you started in the world of CNC. I would be looking to master the CAD/CAM software and then examine the G Code output to see how it works against your CAD model. You will soon get to know G Code working this way.

Tell you what Suesi why don't explain which aspects you struggle with the most and lets see about doing a tutorial on each aspect.
    Or suggest a part you want to make and we can take from start to finish.

It will probably need to be kept to basic principles rather than software specific unless I have the software you use.? In which case I don't mind making a video showing how I would approach and make.!

Hi Jazz

Many thanks for your msg and offer to help I will take you up on that for sure. What you say makes a lot of sense.

This is where I am at:

I have the mill, AutoCAD and mach3 up and running (I did have Lazycam but the PC I had that on has a temporary issue. I will do some drawings for some 2D parts I would like to make.

I think I could do with adjusting the Z axis as at the minute the collet nut could go down through the table if I made an error, I don't see sense in having it set like that as I must have some material on the bed with some cutter projection.

I think then I need to get some CAM software I was thinking of BobCAD V24 as I can get that reasonable or CamBam. I do not know which is best. I guess once I have the software I will have a go with the CAD drawing and if I am still in the dark ask you Jazz for some help!

Many thanks

Suesi

Thanks Eddy this site is good I shall have another look at it.
    Many thanks
    Suesi

Hi IanS1
    Thanks for your msg.
    Perhaps I was trying to do things a bit back to front I see what your saying
    Tar very much
    Suesi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information