Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Dear Forum.
    I want to make a PCB for converting the single ended 5V output from the Par. Port to a 24V Differential line signal, and vice versa.

    Is there any chip "sets" for this purpose. Looking for DIL packages, and with 4 drivers (Quad) in each package.

    Best Regards, Bo Andersen.

  2. #2
    Hi Bo, when you say 24v differential, do you mean two complementary outputs which each swing 0 to 24v depending on the state of the 5v input? Try the L293 or SN754410. These are probably over specified for the purpose as they are designed for motor control type applications but should do the job. Fraid you only get two differential drivers per package though....

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by fabhund View Post
    Dear Forum.
    I want to make a PCB for converting the single ended 5V output from the Par. Port to a 24V Differential line signal, and vice versa.

    Is there any chip "sets" for this purpose. Looking for DIL packages, and with 4 drivers (Quad) in each package.

    Best Regards, Bo Andersen.
    Most outputs from the p.p. are only about 3.3V nowadays ..Clive

  4. #4
    Do you have 24 Volts of do you want to squeak 5 up to 24?

    If you have 24V how about and op-amp wired as a comparator. If it's a data signal go for a high slew rate.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Most outputs from the p.p. are only about 3.3V nowadays ..Clive
    You can shift it to 5V with a small mosfet/transistor and a couple of resistors, like my impromptu 'breakout board' here:



    Or you could go for something more sophisticated - e.g. add a schmitt gate. Or kill two birds with one stone and use and optocoupler and phototransistor instead of just a transistor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06503.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	14210  
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

  6. #6
    The SN754410 suggested above is compatible with low level CMOS voltages so should be ok with a modern pp. It also I think has in effect a Schmidt trigger input. I notice from the data sheet that it's going obsolete though RS have them in stock at about 1.40 each. It only does one way though, for 24v to pp I'd just use a single npn transistor with the 24v on the base through about 100k and a 4k7 pull-up to the pp Vcc in the collector. Remember it will invert the logic level.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    The SN754410 suggested above is compatible with low level CMOS voltages so should be ok with a modern pp. It also I think has in effect a Schmidt trigger input. I notice from the data sheet that it's going obsolete though RS have them in stock at about 1.40 each. It only does one way though, for 24v to pp I'd just use a single npn transistor with the 24v on the base through about 100k and a 4k7 pull-up to the pp Vcc in the collector. Remember it will invert the logic level.
    Thanks for all the posts.

    Case is that I already has a semi-working controlcabinet. A wood router based on stepmotors, controlled via puls/step from an ESS smoothstepper.

    However I have a lot of noise (Due to improper shielding, and poor worksmanship, I know !)

    Now I want to make it more correct and one of the things is to drive the stepper controller inputs (Optocouplers) from a line driver, using a shielded twisted pair cable.
    Right now it's single ended connection (Common anode) and a straight, non shileded cable.

    So from the ESS output, I want a Differential/Complementary Line driver, so 2 wires to each input.
    In order to make it as immune as possible i want that to have 24V on the lines.
    And the driver must be able to source/sink 20mA for the Photo-LED

    I expect a min. of 500kHz pulse frequency.


    For Limit switched i use Omron proximity sensors that work in 12-24VDC range. And is Sinking current (Ground) when activated.
    Again this I want to drive in 2 wires as before, to a "reciever" chaninge the 24V line signal to the ESS input pin.

    I have 5-12-24-48V available in my cabinet.

    On top of the all the cable routing must be reworked, so stepper, sensor and spindle cables are routed separately.

    Hope this draws a more clear picture of what I'm trying to achieve here.
    Again thanks for all the replies, I have something to google now :-)

    -Bo-

  8. #8
    m_c's Avatar
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,837. Received thanks 192 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    If you are going for differential pairs, then I wouldn't worry too much about what voltage the differential pair is running at. 5V is prefectly good for differential systems, as that's voltage what most modern CNC encoders operate at.
    The key feature of differential pairs, is any noise that gets picked up, should be cancelled out by it affecting both wires by a similar amount and the differential voltage remaining reasonably constant. (This is a very basic explanation, which I'm sure Jonathon will criticise me for it!)
    .
    If you're running single ended, then yes, a higher voltage is better, which is why industrial machines nearly always run 24V control systems.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    The key feature of differential pairs, is any noise that gets picked up, should be cancelled out by it affecting both wires by a similar amount and the differential voltage remaining reasonably constant. (This is a very basic explanation, which I'm sure Jonathon will criticise me for it!)
    It's a very basic concept, so your explanation is good :)

    There are plenty of differential driver ICs to choose from, I used these (specifically MAX490) in my servo motor drive and they would likely be fine for the application at hand:

    http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/da...ex.mvp/id/1111
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

  10. #10
    If you are using opto couplers then your signal is current not voltage dependant and you are effectively proof against electrical interference.

    If it isn't working you are barking up the wrong tree if you think screening and more volts is going to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. cutting a fine line
    By cubikoman in forum Tool & Tooling Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-02-2017, 10:04 AM
  2. Does anyone know about CAD/CAM courses on-line?
    By hoezap in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
  3. Line fonts
    By daveshorts in forum Computer Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM
  4. CamSoft is on-line
    By CamSoft Corp in forum CAD & CAM Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-01-2009, 12:55 AM
  5. Mach3 / Laptop No line driver !
    By bruce_miranda in forum Artsoft Mach
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 05:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •