. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You can use an engraving spindle which takes a Gravograph nose and allows cutting depth to be set by the amount of cutter protrusion, a nose with a pivoting ball with through hole for the cutter allows engraving over 10 degrees either way around a 20mm cylinder with a 2D engraving job

http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-p...Nose_Cones.php

[QUOTE=magicniner;65341]You can use an engraving spindle which takes a Gravograph nose and allows cutting depth to be set by the amount of cutter protrusion, a nose with a pivoting ball with through hole for the cutter allows engraving over 10 degrees either way around a 20mm cylinder with a 2D engraving.

That only works fine for 2D engraving if everything is to be engraved at the same depth. G.

By mounting a spindle with this type of nose on a vertical sprung slide (to mimic the original use where hand pressure on a manual pantograph kept it at it's set depth) one can engrave on convex, concave, rippled and non-level surfaces.
    The text on this 20mm radius curved Titanium sheet part is about 3mm high -

It's possible to engrave 3 or 4 lines of text on these 20mm radius parts without noticeable depth/width variation.

Geoffrey,
    If you want 3D engraving you just set flat parts perfectly level, anything else you model the surface for and then set up your part in exactly the orientation in which it was modelled,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 31-12-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks Nick, I am aware of what you are saying, I was merely making the point that whilst a fixed projection from a spring loaded toolholder will follow the existing surface and ensure a steady depth below that surface, it will not allow engraving at different depths. I do have a card/vynal cutter that uses exactly that system. G.

Does a spring loaded cutter with no depth guide allow accurate variable depth engraving over an uneven surface?
    Or will changes in surface height change the pre-load on the spring and vary depth?

When I referred to a fixed projection, I did of course mean a fixed projection from a nosing that touches the surface. G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    .... not allow engraving at different depths.
    So what will?
    The OP referred to parts that are not flat, I was responding to the OP with ideas that might help achieve fixed depth on curvy surfaces
    Last edited by magicniner; 01-01-2015 at 02:27 AM.

Here's another spring loaded tool
    http://www.mrrace.com/SpringTool/index.htm
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information