. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 278. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Are the better beds the ones heated by the silicone type or the ones with copper strips ? ........

Ah Ha.... The silicone ones give better "all over" heat Transfer

I can't see how the silicone ones would mount to the top glass build plate

Now I know..... Silicone pad goes on metal plate, covered by Glass build plate
    Last edited by dudz; 03-01-2015 at 12:20 AM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 278. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ok, Im in the oozest shopping cart. What filament size should I be starting with do you think ?
    If I am using the bulldog extruder, I think it is 12V, so 12V PSU.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

depends what size you will get cheaper. i would start with the thinner one b ut as i think it over 3mm will be better choice. cause later if you need some modification or whatever it can spit faster material. 12v PSU ATx from old pc is best then
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 03-01-2015 at 01:26 AM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I started off making a 3dp, have part made the extruder. I realised that I just don't have the space, decided that making it to fit the mill is a much better idea.

I'm curious to know "after putting everything together" how much setting up and calibrating should I expect to do, to get the system running properly ?

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    I'm curious to know "after putting everything together" how much setting up and calibrating should I expect to do, to get the system running properly ?
    If you think that there is a bit of black magic about getting speeds, feeds and depths of cut right with a router or mill, then you ain't seen nothing yet... There is probably as much art as science in the current 3D printing technology. Admittedly, you will probably have better chance of success in using a commercial hot-end on the extruder (mine is all home-made) but there is a whole set of parameters to tweak, from hot-end temperature to layer height, from printing speed to nozzle calibration. Have you seen how many parameters there are in something like Slic3r, which is a popular slicing package? (That is, the 3D equivalent of CAM and toolpath generation). It's a lot of fun, but I'm not sure that fused-filament 3D printing is quite as straightforward as the current hype suggests. I built my printer about 2 years ago and even though I've printed a fair bit of useful stuff on it, I'm still learning.

Ok, I have bit the bullet ! Made an order with ooznest.

Just got to buy a good heat bed (470mm X 300mm) and Heat controller.

I thought there might be a lot of messing about with parameters. Always is with open source projects

Parts bought.

Bulldog XL extruder
    Hexagon all metal hot end
    Spare nozzle
    1KG of 3mm filiment
    Inc Shipping

Total 250 EUROS

Plus ;

Gecs2tc1 PID Controller = 75 EUROS

Thermocouple = 3 EUROS

SSR (solid state relay) = 3 EUROS

A Axis motor driver = 27 EUROS

900W 230V silicone heat mat
    420mm X 270mm and Aluminium
    plate. = 92 EUROS

TOTAL = 450 EUROS

Yeah, quality is not cheap and it all piles up. At least you saved yourself from thousand of eventual problems and are ready now to face hundreds new ones

But seriously, i believe its good investment. Make for somebody or yourself 2-3 big prototypes and that's paid off. I went to a local guy and he showed me some prototypes, that plastic is damn strong, much more than i expected.

Man, right now i need at least 3-4 prototypes made. I will be adding this too when i have ready my big machine.

What do you have in mind to use it for? Sure you have some plan.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    What do you have in mind to use it for? Sure you have some plan.
    I use my CNC for small motorcycle parts. The 3D printer add on, is just because I would like to learn it, and to let my children learn something new.
    I have always thought of 3D printers as Useless , apart from making parts for other 3D printers. But the wife though it was a good idea, so I thought I'd have a go. So far all I have seen is toys and 3D printer parts made. I am sure I will come up with something one day .
    If this gear will extrude Nylon or Delrin ( Acetal ) plastics, then I can think of a few good uses straight away.

Thanks for steering me towards the better quality stuff. I hate the "half a job" route.
    Last edited by dudz; 06-01-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information