. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So after my giant router build the next thing on the list to think about is a way to chop the large blocks of eps up into usably pices which is normally just smaller blocks so a horizontal and vertical cut however it would allso be nice to have two and Possably four axis cnc posabilities in the future.

the blocks I cut range from 8'x4'x4' to 16'x4'x4' but normally 16x4x2 and weight about 70-80kg

the he machine is going to have to go in the shed were I store the blocks at the moment so restricted a bit by size

I'm not after super accuracy just a nice straight line that can be set up in minimal time and keeping costs as low as posable. I'm wondering if to start with rather than having it cnc I can just have it motorised and controlled by a simple switch or something to give a constant feed rate.

The first thing I have been trying to deside on is what liniar motion components to use. For this as nice as it would be to use Hiwin rails I'm hoping I can come up with a suitable and cheaper method with the 6meter long axis at least possibly something along the lines of the cnc router parts method of using barring and flat steal plate ( I will put a link to when I'm on a pc)

I have seen a few similar machines which has given me a few ideas some quite minimal and some a bit more substantial but yet to deside on how to do it myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	14299  

would it not be possible just to have a floor roller/conveyor system (powered or manual) and a goalpost arrangement with the a hot wire height adjustable spanning between the posts? G.

With the goal posts fixed? Not unless I had nearly 40' of shed. I think it's going to have to be a moving gantry design of sorts. The one bellow is one I have seen on Google that looks rather nice but possibly a bitt by be over the budget to build the same.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	14300  

this was the other which is perhaps the opposite it terms of build strength but certainly simple ish

Name:	1622166_581316398628899_1776871298_n.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	14302  

and this is what I am wondering about for rails

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/linear...ent-p-100.html

however I cant help but think if I use extrusion there must be a way I could use the aluminum as the rail and have some sort of rubber wheel as the forces are going to be so low along with the weight of the gantry being pretty small all so. I am aware of the v rail aluminium but I don't think it comes in 6m lengths.

then there are the wheels you can get from kjn but not sure if they would be up for the job and there are quite pricey considering you would need probably 6 or 8 per rail.
    http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/a...40.html#SID=71
    Last edited by charlieuk; 04-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Hi Charlie
    With the limitation on working area, best option would be to knock up a trolly with integral adjustable hot wire cutter and run it along the top of your block.
    No need for anything complicated.
    Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by mekanik; 05-01-2015 at 09:12 AM.

If space is really tight have you thought about having your rails against the sidewalls of your shed with the gantry parking against the back wall?
    If you used a system based on tube frame roller coaster designs you might get a large proportion of what you need from scaffold poles & fittings, with the outside faces of the horizontal runners free for adding support to get them straight and level,
    Regards,
    Nick

Ceiling mounted ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thanks for those ideas they have given me a lot to think about. the idea of actauly just having a frame sit on the block would be a nice and compact however i would have to cut the full length each time to get a flat surface.

wall mounted could be a option but i would need to think about shifting the block around as they are so large and heavy and im my own most of the time. ceiling could work also although probably not the most solid part of the shed and im 6'2 so metal sticking down may get annoying but still worth thinking about

im wondering if i had something floor mounted i could possibly build a raised false floor around it so i could slide the blocks on and around easily with no lifting same goes i suppose if it was ceiling mounted

what ever i build i would like the option to be able to upgrade it to 2 or 4 axis cnc in the future
    Last edited by charlieuk; 05-01-2015 at 12:17 PM.

I think if you really want 2/4 axis in the future you either need to part build it now (ie base etc but with only 1 axis, rest to be added later) or build a cheap machine to do what you want now and start again later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information