. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This might be a bit if a daft question but I'm vaguely starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel in my build and I'm just trying to manage my expectations here. What would be considered "good" performance for profile cutting/slotting alu on a DIY 2.2kw gantry type router in terms of dept of cut and feed rates with a decent surface finish? I'm taking about real world numbers for routers here and not the stuff that is spit out by the feed/speed calculators for high speed/ high power VMC's. I've been cutting alu for a long time on my big router and my best surface finish for slotting/profiling is at around 1000mm/min, 0.5mm depth of cut and 14000rpm with a 6mm cutter. I'm hoping for better with the new machine. What's your experience with your machines or any thought on what "good" performance should be?

I would say same as before but without the scratching . Say 3-6mm pass depth and a bit faster.

You new baby will do even better but i find that pushing something too hard results in short life of something else.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

haha, scratching, good one silyavski. So, you're say at 0.5 mm DOC I can save cutters as I don't even have to start the spindle, the machine with just scratch it through :-) Ok maybe I'm too gentle on my tools.
    3-6mm is huge. I'd be EXTREMELY happy with anything remotely like that. Is that what you could do on the yellow steel machine?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchejc View Post
    haha, scratching, good one silyavski. So, you're say at 0.5 mm DOC I can save cutters as I don't even have to start the spindle, the machine with just scratch it through :-) Ok maybe I'm too gentle on my tools.
    3-6mm is huge. I'd be EXTREMELY happy with anything remotely like that. Is that what you could do on the yellow steel machine?
    3mm depth of cut will be fore sure if you don't make a major mistake.

The yellow machine i have never had the possibility to push it to the limit. remember there is only 0.8kw spindle. But yes, i have tried it with 6mm bit at up to 1.5 mm depth 650mm/min as i remember and it cuts it like butter. Now the other thing is not the speed but the finish. Its perfect. Thats more important to me.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

That's very good news. You are so right, whatever the speed, the surface finish has to be perfect.

Although the above posts deal with router cutting or milling the cut quality on the part is quite good. You can improve the corners by quite a bit by having external loops or corner routines on them.

i think the diagram is the wrong way round ?

U said u are to gentle for your tools? U are actually ruing your tool edges going with small depths as the rest of the tool does nothing. Think about going 3mm deep at f800 and u are using more of your cutter cutting surface and won't forcing machine as u going slower but cutting more... So just the thought

Thx, yep you are correct about killing the cutters quickly with those shallow cuts, I meant to say I'm too gentle on my old machine. Will do a test cut at 3mm doc cut @ 800 and see how it goes. +- what RPM's are you running for that?

Biggest trouble with cutting deeper is the swarf removal ratio. How do you cooling your tool?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information