. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OK, what would you suggest??

What i said before, just the PC needs UPS, not the VFD.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Not any of the electronics with the machine need surge protection?? Is the BOB not vulnerable also?/

Quote Originally Posted by racerbear02 View Post
    Not any of the electronics with the machine need surge protection?? Is the BOB not vulnerable also?/
    Yeah, sorry, by PC i meant all the PC side, electronics including. Obviously whats the point protecting the PC if the BOB or drives are not protected. But at the end, depends on your budget.

OK thanks, but as the complete machine is powered by one power supply including the spindle itself I guess I would need to split off the spindle somehow and just protect the electronic parts, as I am not an electrician, or have any real understanding of electricity at all, I guess I will need to ask the manufacturer how to do that.

Thanks again

Ok, i understand- You know nothing of electricity so that's why you ask.

let me explain then: When we say power supply, means that there is a transformer that transforms and rectifies the 230V to some low voltage 5-24-70V . The BOB usually needs 5-24VDC to work. The drives need 24-70VDC to work and the VFD spindle side 230VAC, so though one cable powers the whole machine inside transformers change that 230VAC to the needed VDC. So you will need to isolate the VFD with a separate cable so you plug it directly in the 230VAC. The spindle is powered by the VFD so you need only to disconnect the VFD input from the machine and set it up with separate plug. Then You Plug the cable that powers the machine now in separate UPS. Thats all.

Now you understand? Or you still need some help. maybe you make pictures and we can help better.

OK, I really do appreciate your time here

That is what I have got, if I can isolate the actual spindle 2230v supply, I can use a 750watt UPS to protect the electronics I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router_01.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	14509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router_02.JPG 
Views:	402 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	14510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router_03.JPG 
Views:	395 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	14511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000530 (Small).JPG 
Views:	402 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	14512  
    Last edited by racerbear02; 25-01-2015 at 03:40 PM.

That is what I have got, if I can isolate the actual spindle 2230v supply, I can use a 750watt UPS to protect the electronics I guess.
    Exactly.

See that switch on the left of the VFD. I believe that is what feeds the VFD with 230V, cause i see no other reason for this in the enclosure or it is for the whole enclosure. Turn it off and see if the BOB is powered, if not, then dont touch it . Just follow the VFD input cable and terminate it where possible at some other connection. Then fit a longer cable and a plug.
    If you turn off the switch and the BOB is still powered and the drives are still powered, that means its only for the VFD. Then remove the input cable follow it to some connection and remove it from that side. The fit a new cable with plug directly to the switch.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    OK thanks, but as the complete machine is powered by one power supply including the spindle itself I guess I would need to split off the spindle somehow and just protect the electronic parts, as I am not an electrician, or have any real understanding of electricity at all, I guess I will need to ask the manufacturer how to do that.

Thanks again
    Do you have a schematic for the machine as that would make it very clear. If you are not happy playing with 230V then I would ask somebody local to help, better to be safe than sorry. ..Clive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information