. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I thought I would just post a picture of this dust strip I have made for my extraction system. As most who have look for long bristle dust strip will know how expensive it and how you can only get it in long lengths and in a aluminium carrier which is no good for round corners I thought I would come up with my own.

and this is how I did it

1. Purchase a long bristle broom from were ever is the cheapest! Mine was from b&q and £8

2 pull the bristles out with pliers. They should come out in bundles with a metal clip holing them together.

3 cut the folded over top that has the clip on it to make individual strands.

4 lay down a strip of masking tape and lay the bristles down aligning them with one edge

5 mask a 1" strip along the top were you will put the silicon.

6 spread a even layer of silicon over the top of the bristles to hold them together and when done remove the second pice of masking tape you used for a nice clean line.

7 you can the ether repeat step 5&6 on the opposite side or you can lay further layer on top.

8 leave to dry for 24hours and you should be good to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	5320 
Size:	993.8 KB 
ID:	14333  

Charlie, Thank's for posting, the method's okay but you'll find a cheaper brush here; http://www.toolstation.com/search?searchstr=brush
    Also the bristles look quite stiff on that brush so maybe a softer one would be better ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 07-01-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I wanted to pick something up over Christmas so for me b&q was the best option as it was local and I could have it there and then. I found the stiffer bristles were better for what I wanted, I would say they were a soft out door style brush and I found they are less likely to get caught in the spindle. This is about mk6 I have tested, they are all so a lot easier to work with and were the longest I could get. I experimented with paint brush style things but they were a pain to work with and very short. From my experiments there is nothing on the tool station page that would work that is cheaper but like I said you what ever brush you want from were ever you want its just what I found the cheapest and most suitable.

Thanks for postings

Bangood is the best bet now they do 100mm x 1000mm for very little

I used similar method with brush and pulling bristles(spelling?) out. but I carved around 6x6 mm channel in wooden holder and used hot gun to glue them in. I initially put plastic in channel, filled with bristles, 2,3 cm at a time. then I reinforced them from interior once again to be more firm in position. I don't have any picture on my hand here but can get them if anyone is interested.
    Its pretty late here so please excuse my spelling...

Poslano sa mog MI 5 koristeći Tapatalk

Nice but B&Q also have draught strips for door bottoms with the bristles on a flexible steel strip which you can slide out and bend to shape,
    Simples!

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Hi Everyone

I know that this is an old thread but I found this supplier on Amazon who sells the type of brush material that is perfect for our dusthoods see here
    Last edited by MikeyC38; 12-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Hi Everyone

I know that this is an old thread but I found this supplier on Amazon who sells the type of brush material that is perfect for our dusthoods see here
    Out of stock, which is a bastard. When I made one I just cut up loads of really thick ziplock bags into strips and glued it in. Couldn't find any decent brushes that lent themselves to the application, other than ordering a crap load from China.

Lives in Sudbury, Suffolk, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 15. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    How about this on ebay?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323692003138

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information