. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi Jazz

There not nice know especially the smaller ones. Happy days for euro and serrated blocks. I used not be a big fan breaking through a false fence - needless to say I was pretty quick to get the powerfeed in situ and clamp a section of timber in front of it!

I have found a hex head bolt for the purpose in question. If the outfeed table was adjustable I would think about getting a Tersa or similar block! Yes a lot of money to spend but it is a real handy little machine. I guess I could do that anyway if it comes to it!

Many thanks

Suesi

Hi Eddy, tar very much for that mate I will fire them off an email and see what happens!

Many thanks

Suesi

Hi mekanik,

Thank you for your msg and link I appreciate it. I must have a m10 socket head I will have measure and see what happens. If the worst comes to the worst I can get a bolt made up I guess.

Many thanks

Suesi

Thanks m_c I don't use a spindle anymore but I went over to euro and serrated blocks long ago and I can't say I miss hand grinding cutters! They did get me out of a fix a few times for just a quick simple run. Thanks very much suesi

If you can't make it yourself make sure it is made from height tensile steel, also take a sample and tell them to reproduce the radius were the dia meets the square, if this is done with a sharp tool it will produce a stress raiser.
    Regards
    Mike

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

if you know the material that the bolt is made of turn and thread one 14mm diameter then put the square on, the formula is 1.414 x across flats for the dia of a square, this should also be about the same weight if this cant be done I could knock you one up at work out of en8 or 19t

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bmbaz For This Useful Post:

Hi mekanik,

Thank you for you msg. I can't make one myself. However, I can tell what you are telling me is important although I am sorry I do not understand what you mean by "tell them to reproduce the radius were the dia meets the square" I could learn this I think it could be doing. You say if that is done with a sharp tool it will produce a stress raiser, so is there a time when a blunt tool is better?

Many thanks for the help

Suesi

Dear bmbaz,

Many thanks for your help and offer to make me a bolt if I get stuck. I understand the 1.414 side of things. If I take you up on your offer please let me know what I owe you and I will pay you.

Many thanks

Suesi

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by suesi34e View Post
    You say if that is done with a sharp tool it will produce a stress raiser, so is there a time when a blunt tool is better?
    No, it means use a sharp tool, but with a rounded tip rather than a sharp angle at the tip. That would leave a radius in the corner rather than a square corner, which is good from a stress-reduction point of view. Any sharp change in dimension concentrates the stress at that point. It's very seldom better to use a blunt tool for anything!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Suesi
    Dia is an abreviation for diameter ie 6mm the radius is formed where the diameter intersects the square section (like head of a bolt) when a bolt is torqued it actually increases slightly in length and loads the assembly,if there is a sharp junction a crack can propergate in that area especially if the item was subject to and impact. The radius helps to distribute the load, some of the guys on the forum have the software that can show stress analysis.
    As for the cutting tool,NO there is no time when a blunt tool is preferable to a sharp one (to the best of my knowledge), in this case you would just produce a slight radius on the tip of the tool still maintaining the correct clearance angles. hope that makes some sort of sense.
    Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by mekanik; 13-01-2015 at 12:15 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information