. .
    I've been quoted £5k by Boxford to upgrade my very old 160TCL. That includes everything including software. I'm looking at more affordable options, I've heard that its possible to upgrade it to Mach3 with new circuitry. Does anyone know who does this?
    Many thanks
    Rob

I have upgraded a Denford Novamill to Mach for a total cost for components of about £200. This was for 3 stepper drives, psu, BoB. I already had a spindle speed control, that would add about 100 quid. Used the original steppers. Computer also I already had. But I did all the work myself, I don't know anyone who would do it as a service. It isn't that hard, you could buy almost everything ready made from Roy Harding at http://diycnc.co.uk/html/cnc_systems.html.

Like John says in basic form not really difficult but does this machine have auto tool changer.?

This makes it a little more complicated as you'll require more Inputs/outputs than a standard breakout board(BOB) can provide. You'll also need some knowledge of Mach3 and creating or adapting toolchange macro's to make work but Still very do-able and relatively cheaply.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    you can get a good working machine for very little expense by using the existing drives, power supply and steppers. You can get this within the constraints of a single parallel port even with the atc if fitted. The existing power supply and drivers will run the steppers well, but if you need more performance, more powerful drivers and a larger power supply will be needed. What you need to decide is what you want from the 160 and even if you need greater performance.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    you can get a good working machine for very little expense by using the existing drives, power supply and steppers. You can get this within the constraints of a single parallel port even with the atc if fitted. The existing power supply and drivers will run the steppers well, but if you need more performance, more powerful drivers and a larger power supply will be needed. What you need to decide is what you want from the 160 and even if you need greater performance.
    I don't have any software, it was originally connected to a BBC computer, so are you saying that I can get this little machine working from a PC in its current state?

The Mach3 license is very reasonably priced (especially with the current exchange rate) at $175, then as stated you can add a break out board (BOB) and PC running W98 with parallel port and you just have some wiring to do ;-)

- Nick

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones_Rob View Post
    I don't have any software, it was originally connected to a BBC computer, so are you saying that I can get this little machine working from a PC in its current state?
    not as it stands, to run mach3 on the 160 you'll need to interface the machine to a parallel port and configure mach3 to run the machine.
    Last edited by i2i; 13-01-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Hi all

I have just aquired a boxford 160 and 190vmc and i am looking to convert them to mach3. i also have very little idea of how to go about it. i have been looking through the threads on here and i am getting an idea of what it entails but i am looking for some help

cheers

Morning,

I've also just bought a TCL160. Mine looks like a bog basic model, no tool changer turret or limit switches on axis. Everything it has works though, quite happily moves in jog etc.

Is it possible to get it running on a PC in completely stock condition? If I could do that and keep the use of the control panel I'd be very pleased. If not, are there any idiot level guides to putting new boards etc? I've seen Saracens thread, though it sounds like he's still experimenting and setting up. I've downloaded the free version of Mach 3 to have a look.

Thread Information