. .
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Everyone,

first let me say that I'm a total noob compared to you all but willing to learn if you guys advise me.
    I have already bought parts based on recommendations from this forum and have the design in my mind and hopefully will state all my plans here. I'm sorry I'm not a pro in using cad programs so I can't show you any designs but that's something I'm planning working on.

My extent of experience in CNC machines is building up a shapeoko2 (upgraded to 1x1m) with stock parts, though that machine is doing well for what it is, I wan't to make my own rigid machine.

My main aim is to be able to cut guitar body parts from wood like alder,maple,basswood etc.
    Being able to cut alum/acrylic/plastic for projects would be a big plus, and achievable I imagine.

based on my requirements I decided on this size as I don't see me needing more than that work area (even less) and would happily trade the extra size for more precision/accuracy,stability and rigidity.

this is just a placeholder, will post more

Thank you!

Hi Noplace

Download Sketchup; its free

there are LOADS of videos all over youtube showing you how to do everything... bit of patience and you'll get there

you'll be so pleased youve learnt it aswell.. its so useful for so much other stuff

keep us posted...

Good luck with the build, always makes me nervous when someone posts that they've bought parts and they've not posted a design for all to critique....

With regards to drawing, Sketchup is free and good for playing about so you can see how things might go together.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks for the Sketchup suggestion, I have dabbled at it before but ill give it a more focused go now.

I kinda thought that buying parts before design is frowned upon here, but I really didn't have a choice unless have to wait until I Become good in designing software, but I had no patience for that and was eager lol.

Material/Parts so far:

• 2x HGR 35mm Rail : 1000m & 2 x 35mm Bearing Block, Square
    • 2x 40mm x 80mm T-Slotted Extrusion : 1000m
    • 2x 80mm x 80mm T-Slotted Extrusion : 600m
    • 4x 40mm x 40mm T-Slotted Extrusion : 600m
    • Assorted brackets, nuts and screws for the above
    • 2x 1610 Ballscrew : 900mm & 2x Housing Bracket
    • 2x BK12 & BF2
    • 2x Flexible Coupling Coupler 6.35mmx10mm shaft
    • 2x NEMA 23 Stepper Servo Motor Mount Bracket
    • 4x SY60STH86-3008B Nema 23
    • 1x Leadshine EM806
    • 1x C35S - QUICK SETUP BREAKOUT BOARD (C35S)
    • 1x RPS608 Power supply

Once I get all the items I will lay them out and take photos of how I plan on building and hopefully you guys could contribute on any required adjustments

you would notice I still didn't buy anything for the gantry as I have still not designed it (in my mind lol) and have to procure the side plates which I really need help with.

I'll get more drivers once I configure the first one, would need help with the wiring with the power supply,is it enough to drive 4 of them?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    I'll get more drivers once I configure the first one, would need help with the wiring with the power supply,is it enough to drive 4 of them?

Thanks!
    Probably not big enough for the job 10 amps would have been better, read this; http://www.geckodrive.com/support.html
    Now you have it I would give it a go and see how it performs.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 21-01-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Now you have got me here. Quite big, don't you think? Normally 20 size is enough.

By the way i have always wondered:what is the size router the guitar makers need? It seems you can clear that question now.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post

Now you have got me here. Quite big, don't you think? Normally 20 size is enough.

By the way i have always wondered:what is the size router the guitar makers need? It seems you can clear that question now.
    I chose that based on what I read from the product document, thought might be better take something better than to be sorry, would it cause any issues?

as router I'm no expert but I know some are using ones like dewalt and bosch colt.

The best and stiffest way to achieve height is to have the L shaped gantry sitting on the carriages and raise the frame up on legs. If you have an adjustable bed then you can cut deep items but for 90% of cutting have the bed as near the cutter as possible to keep cutter flex to a minimum. What will you be mostly cutting?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hi Neil, mostly wood with occasional aluminium

hey guys I could use your help on designing the Z axis to complete the machine, I have made it 200x240mm but I don't know if that is the best size given my machine overall design.

and am thinking of mounting the hiwin blocks on the stationary part and the rails on the second plate which will move up and down, should the second plate and the rails be also 240mm ?

last thing i need help with (for now lol) is what HIWIN rail and block size should I use for my x axis ( gantry left and right ) and z axis? HGR the heavy duty ones or will EGR be good enough?

thanks !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	1268 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	14772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Main.jpg 
Views:	1269 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	14771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	1297 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	14770  

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information