. .
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    i mean the working area needed for guitar making ?
    If you want to make a through neck bass or 8 string guitar without having to move the blank in between machining, the work area needs to be 1200 mm long, the 600 wide is okay.
    But because the neck would need to positioned more carefully it makes sense to move the blank into a different position than the body was in, so 900 mm long would be okay.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 29-01-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    however what would you recommend to connect the motor cable? straight up soldered into the long 4-core or connectors?
    Yes, solder then cover each joint with heatshrink sleeving. Then solder a piece of wire about 200mm long, of the same thickness as the core wires, to the screenm then cover the whole area with a larger piece of heatshrink. Now you should have all the joints covered and that 200mm piece of wire coming out from under the large heatshrink sleeving and that wire is used to earth the screen.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Yes, solder then cover each joint with heatshrink sleeving. Then solder a piece of wire about 200mm long, of the same thickness as the core wires, to the screenm then cover the whole area with a larger piece of heatshrink. Now you should have all the joints covered and that 200mm piece of wire coming out from under the large heatshrink sleeving and that wire is used to earth the screen.
    Just for completeness I would suggest 4 core CY 1mm or 1.5mm cable as http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/CY-Cable-4-Core.html .. Clive

Just started learning solidworks, please bare with me I'm a total beginner in this thing but somehow managed to design the frame as I intended based on the parts I bought:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.JPG 
Views:	1605 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	14528  

Here is my design of the gantry side plates, the hiwin blocks are actually longer and would be mounted at both ends and not like the design below, I just couldn't find the right CAD model for the HGH35CA

the plates are 10mm thick and they would attach from the bottom outside to the ballscrews ( again sorry I couldn't find the proper CAD models, really new to this and self learning)

Guys I could really use some advise and guidance at this stage, really appreciate it.

Also if anyone is a solidworks expert, I couldn't figure out a way to mate the left and right linears, maybe it will show in the photo that they are not exactly aligned.

Name:	Main.JPG 
Views:	1597 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	14537  

If the gantry side plates are aluminium then 20mm thick is the usual advice.

use parallel mates to hold the bearings on the rails ... then use co-incident mates to hold the 10mm plates onto the bearings
    you also use a coincident mate to keep the front faces of the two bearings aligned, so when move the one gantry arm, the other will follow

Updated with 20mm plates and a bit of the gantry, do you think it would need more support or can i stick with just the two 40x40 extrusions?

Name:	Main.JPG 
Views:	1559 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	14578  

Hi Noplace, your frame needs a lot of bracing and strengthening as does your gantry. Have a look through some of the build logs and you'll see what I mean....these are two sililar to what I think you're aiming for?

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6988-routercnc_MK3

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8206-...Axis-CNC-Build
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Hi Noplace, your frame needs a lot of bracing and strengthening as does your gantry. Have a look through some of the build logs and you'll see what I mean....these are two sililar to what I think you're aiming for?

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6988-routercnc_MK3

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8206-...Axis-CNC-Build
    Hi many thanks for your comment, yea the 2nd link looks more or less like what I'm aiming. as you see in my design the frame ends consist of 80x80 extrusions but I left out 3 pieces of 40x40 which I will attach through out the empty space, I do think that would be enough support and I hope I'm not wrong hehe, otherwise I could get more and enforce further?

for the gantry I guess I still didnt settle on a design in my mind, maybe instead of the 40x40 extrusions I would replace them with 80x80? I apologize I'm not a mechanical engineering just going by my own logic so not sure what else I could add to it to make it better

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information