. .
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    It looks like you have done a profile cut to make the hole A pocket would have been better to have the hole cleared.
    You don't say how many flutes the cutter has etc.
    Sorry updated the original post, it was a 4 flute cutter. I just used an online g-code generator to generate cutting a hole, it goes down 3mm depth at a time and makes it a circle path. I'm already using hsmexpress so I'll do the toolpath on that next time and see.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    Sorry updated the original post, it was a 4 flute cutter. I just used an online g-code generator to generate cutting a hole, it goes down 3mm depth at a time and makes it a circle path. I'm already using hsmexpress so I'll do the toolpath on that next time and see.
    Try a two flute cutter at about 14K with a pocket tool path
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Hi Khalid,

Nice to see it working. 4 flute cutters are no good for aluminium because has you found out you can't remove chips fast enough so they get re-cut chips causeing cutter heating of material and tool. Your very lucky you didn't go into melt down and Gum up the cutter with those feeds/speeds.

My standard setup is to use 3 flute Carbide Ripping cutters for roughing leaving 0.35mm wall material cutting approx 40-50% Dia DOC and feed rate between 900 -1600mm/min. Spindle speed 14000-24000rpm all depending on material grade and how big a hurry I'm in.

I Finish with a Full depth pass using single flute HSS to remove the 0.35mm material. Any where between 9000-12000rpm and feedrate 600-900mm/min.

When cutting Aluminium there is NO one cutter or feedrate/DOC etc suits all and each grade of material cuts different, infact the same grade can differ from batch to batch. Lower grades also have hard and soft spots which can catch you out if cutting parameters are close to max'd out.

So for this reason you'll find your constantly tweaking with settings to suit your machine and material being used at the time.
    In all cases you need at least blown air cooling to clear chips and ideally you want some form of coolant, mist, odourless mist or flood all work good.

Another tip is don't use cutters any wider than 8mm if slot cutting at any depth has the cutting forces increase hugely and stress the spindle/machine. Wide cutters are good for shallow surfacing or deep edge milling with lower step over. Just avoid deep slot milling with them.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-10-2015 at 11:38 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

new issue with auto tool height, any insight is highly appreciated

I’m using C35 http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C35R1_2_user_manual.pdf to control my machine and everything works great, trying to setup auto tool height but there is a problem with the wiring. I tried wiring port 15 and ground pin as the two points for my tool height accessory and there is nothing wrong with it until I hook the thing to the tool/spindle. the issue is that my spindle is grounded to the backpanel of all electronics and that in turn goes back to the earth wire in the electrical socket. never had an issue until the auto tool height wires touch each other while also hooked to the endmill/spindle, when they touch suddenly the unit gives an error and stops working until I re connect to the PC and restart mach3.

so in short, if the C35 port 15, ground port and my ground point all connect Mach3 will pop an error that the motion controller is disconnected.
    I also saw very tiny sparks when I made the plate touch the spindle and the wire with hook.

have I made a grave error by putting my VFD in the electronics enclosure which in turn made the spindle ground connect to it and in turn made my whole machine the ground point?

I guess no one cared about the previous issue since it sounds idiotic from my side haha anyway I solved the issues I verified my grounding concept is sound ( I think lol )

appreciate any input on a new issue: I got my X and Y axis setup to travel at 10m/min 1m/s^2 and they do so decently but my Z can't handle more than 7m/min .5m/s^2 , I tested the motor without any load and it was fine upto the desired speeds but not when connected back again with the belt. my question is what can I do to make it better? two reasons I can think of is the linear rails might not be aligned perfectly with the ballscrew causing it to use more force, should I open it all up and tweak? also the weight of the spindle is maybe 12KG or so (feels heavier for sure) might it be that the motor just doesn't have enough torque to move it at high acceleration?

all my motors are 3.1Nm nema23 from zappautomation btw

Do you have 1610 ballscrews on X and Y and 1605 on Z as per a normal setup? Because that will affect your speed on Z.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRam View Post
    Do you have 1610 ballscrews on X and Y and 1605 on Z as per a normal setup? Because that will affect your speed on Z.

Yes I do indeed, just to clear confusion in case there is any, the steps per and speed of the motor in mach3 is all setup correctly and I was able to reach the speeds by increasing my motion controller frequency which gives me the option to. so there is no software/hardware limit that prevents me from entering a larger speed and acceleration if I wish, the problem occurs by having the motor stall after a little jogging.

but if you mean that there is an inherited limit in using a 5mm pitch screw that I can't go past for example 7m/min can you please let me know if such is the case?

Yes. You would have to spin the ballscrew twice as fast as a 1610 to achieve the same linear speed

I'm questioning why you want all that speed on your Z? I've got my Z at 7m/min and its plenty fast enough. What are you doing that needs more speed?

Ps I've got a 1605 ballscrew on mine.
    Last edited by njhussey; 08-11-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

no I don't need that speed at all, sorry I'm talking about the acceleration here mostly, I was just wondering how to achieve higher acceleration without stalling.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread Information