. .

Thread: Which cnc

Lives in NORTHWICH, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 24-01-2015 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    Hi people.

My name is Kay, i am an artist {painter} but i am looking to diversify into other areas. One of which will require the use of a cnc router, i have never used a cnc router before and i was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. I will be routing engraving onto wood , measuring around 24" x 36" i have seen some that will take in the 24" but not the 36" can the wood be moved in the middle of routing to enable the longer part to be used?
    hope this makes sense
    not sure where a good place to purchase a reliable second hand one would be so again i was hoping of some suggestions from you guys.

well thats me done,
    hope to here from some of you soon.

take care

kay

Hi Kay,
    My main artwork is in glass and stone but like you I wanted to venture in to CNC routing. Up until August last year I was a CNC virgin :-)
    My main use for the CNC is wood routing and certainly opens up a lot of interesting possibilities creativity wise. There was a bit of a learning curve, mainly in the use of the CAD software. I suggest you download a trial copy of Vectric aspire or Vcarve, they are not cheap but they are very comprehensive, If you want to do 3D relief carving then Aspire would be the best (and most expensive) package to go for.
    A 6090 size machine may suit your needs but something like a 1212 would give you more flexibility.
    What type of wood will you be working with and what thickness as that will give a better idea as to a machine spec.

I am only a relative newcomer to CNC work but turning out a lot of pieces now. There are far more experienced people on this forum that I am sure will offer their advice but if you need any help on what it's like to dive in to CNC machining as a beginner I would be more than happy to help.

Good luck

Al

Kay, you started two threads, I've answered the other one but I'll also repeat myself here.

These are uk makers that might supply your needs;
    http://stoneycnc.co.uk/
    http://www.exelcnc.com/
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thread Information