. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Vectric's Cut 2D does an admirable job of generating 2D tool-paths, but I'm wondering if there's a bit of G-code that's available to add in which will plunge the cutter to a specified Z depth as it travels to it's halfway point along the 2D path and then retracts the cutter as it travels along the second half of the path. I imagine many of the programs that carve letter-forms into wood use this technique, but is the Z-depth explicitly specified in each line as the G-Code is generated, or is it controlled by a clever bit of programming at machine level?

Wal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GCODE.gif 
Views:	1356 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	14588  

Fluting Toolpaths
    Vcarve Pro and Aspire have it.

Name:	aspire 2.PNG 
Views:	1048 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	14591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspire.PNG 
Views:	1061 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	14592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1019 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	14594  
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 05-02-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >Vcarve Pro and Aspire have it.

Indeed they do, but I'm not using either of 'em... I was after a manual tweak that I could make to my standard profile code. Any chance you could output me some G-code for a fluted straight and a fluted curved line to see how it's being done? (If you could do examples of a linear and a smooth ramp that would be cool!)

Cheers!

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 05-02-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quick answer is that the gcode instruction to cut a straight line (G1) generally has up to three coordinates included. If you are cutting in 2D, then these are the X and Y coordinates to which the tool should move; no Z coordinate so the tool stays at same height. If you want height/depth of cut to vary along the path, then you add a Z coordinate and the motion control software will calculate the tool path so X, Y and Z all vary at the right rate to get to the end point in a straight line. So the answer to your question is that yes, the Z move is part of the generated gcode. Aspire, vCarve, etc, all do this when generating 3D cutting gcode. If you were really keen, I suppose that you could find all straight cutting moves, and edit them to include an intermediate point with lower Z point plus original Z value in the original point. Doesn't sound like an easy job to me! Probably why Cut3D costs rather more than Cut2D...

flute toolpaths.txt 100 mm OD circle, 100mm line and 100mm/10mm arc

Hope that will help

Name:	test fluting 2.PNG 
Views:	951 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	14599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test fluting.PNG 
Views:	954 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	14600  
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Cheers Boyan. Much appreciated! As Neale said - new z value on each line, which is what I suspected.

Thanks again!

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 05-02-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Just out of interest why would you want to arc in and out with the Z?

Cheers Neale.

Yeah, I have Cut3D - another excellent piece of software from Vectric - but the way that it generates its cut files isn't exactly practical (and very long-winded) for simply adding a couple of fluted lines to a face.

Heh - I don't fancy scrolling down through thousands of lines of code and manually adjusting z-depths...

Perhaps a G19/G18 arc might be worth exploring?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/g-code...rc-g-code.html

Hmm, but thinking about it they're in X/Z or Y/Z so anything other than a straight vertical or horizontal line isn't possible...

Thread Information