. .
    I'm building a new control system (BoB, stepper drivers etc.) and would be interested in your views and experiences of using bootlace ferrules on the end of the cables.

The alternative is of course just to twist the ends, but is it more reliable using ferrules or just a nice-to-do on a DIY machine?

Example:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/bootlace-ferrule-crimp

Thanks
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I'm building a new control system (BoB, stepper drivers etc.) and would be interested in your views and experiences of using bootlace ferrules on the end of the cables.

The alternative is of course just to twist the ends, but is it more reliable using ferrules or just a nice-to-do on a DIY machine?
    No contest, its much easier but get the smaller ones like the red or white. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Chalon-Comp...sub=5570077010 ..Clive

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Snap ..Clive

Thanks Clive & Eddy.

That settles it then - just ordered crimping tool and big set of ferrules.

Reading around a bit suggests that as well as crimping the metal bit the plastic bit is heat shrunk onto the cable outer, possibly with adhesive inside. I've ordered them now, but do they all heat shrink like this and do they all have adhesive in? Or are there different versions?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

When you fit them, don't twist the wire first, just strip the right amount and push into the ferrule, it needs to be a good snug fit. If it's slack you've got the wrong size but sometimes you can double the wire over to make it twice the size if you run short.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

With very fine gauge wire, such as is fitted to Proxies and PE devices, I strip and fan out the wires then fold them back over the insulation before inserting into the ferrule and crimping.

A bit fiddly but does give a good grip of the insulation and uses a ferrule of a more suitable size for screw terminals. I have found that this also works very well with spring terminals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferrules.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	14632  

I use the ferrules without the plastic sleeve when you need to wire into small terminal blocks. Yes I agree with using ferrules, they make a neater and better job.

Thread Information