. .
    Hi guys,

I'm about to pick this up : http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.../10/KL6020.pdf

and I'm confused with how to wire it for 220v input, in the pdf it says connect one red and one black to each other, and the other red and black both to hot, which is confusing me because I think one should be conencted to neutral!

I'm 99% sure but would like your confirmation before doing it, many thanks!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm about to pick this up : http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.../10/KL6020.pdf

and I'm confused with how to wire it for 220v input, in the pdf it says connect one red and one black to each other, and the other red and black both to hot, which is confusing me because I think one should be conencted to neutral!

I'm 99% sure but would like your confirmation before doing it, many thanks!
    Yes you are correct the black to hot and the red to neutral. But it is AC so it does not really matter if they are the other way round. (by the way black is live in Spain and probably the other countries as well) ..Clive

It's a bit misleading as written. Connect red from one winding and black from the other winding together. Connect the other red to live and the other black to neutral. You are putting two 110V windings in series to match the 220V supply. Doesn't really matter that the supply is probably between 230V and 240V as it would be in UK - it'll be fine. You do have to make sure that the red and black you connect together come from different windings, though.

I've worked on American gear before, that was also black and white like the manual shows. [rant] How these crappy colours even came to be is beyond me, we used to have sensible colours in the UK that 'others' should have adopted, but no, the clowns made us change to theirs. [/rant]
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 08-02-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

thanks guys, it worked as expected but damn that thing weighs a ton!

gents if you don't mind but appreciate if you can check the pdf again and let me know what is the purpose of the 'C' pin exactly? I only tried the + and - to connect to the driver.

gents if you don't mind but appreciate if you can check the pdf again and let me know what is the purpose of the 'C' pin exactly? I only tried the + and - to connect to the driver.
    There's no clue, I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to know then you could take a photo of that pcb under side and post it here.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    according to this ;http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...08/KL-6020.pdf The C pin is not connected to anything ..Clive

Clive, you're right, now I zoomed in a bit I can see it !. It looks like they might have had the option of using a centre tapped secondary and two diodes for full wave rectification with the load connected to C and 2
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-02-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information