. .

Thread: kress any good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    looking at this spindle on ebay, any thoughts on suitability for wood V carving engraving
    appologies if this is obvious

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kress-240v...item3396ef79e4

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by totally useless View Post
    looking at this spindle on ebay, any thoughts on suitability for wood V carving engraving
    appologies if this is obvious

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kress-240v...item3396ef79e4

cheers
    What kind of machine are you going to put it on? The Chinese 2.2Kw with vfd are the favoured ones to get like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/20099...f14=108&ff19=0 they are all over ebay. ..Clive

Hiya,

A Kress unit is what allot of people start off with, it will do what you want BUT a water cooled spindle can be got for around the same money and would be a better choice imo, the kress units are pretty much in line with a standard router unit, obviously more like a trimmer in looks and shape they also share the same noisiness as a router or trimmer.

The difference in the two is the kress has been designed more specifically, so dose have a better run out and things like that, but again any of the water cooled spindles would be so much better all round, there is also the same type of spindle but in an air cooled version, this dose have a cooling fan at the top so again can be considered noisy in comparison but again I think this would be a better choice over a router/trimmer/kress.

You will also find good local support for the 2.2kw units, we have a thread dedicated to them specifically: http://www.mycncuk.com/showthread.php?t=5814

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 15-02-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    .Me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

I would go Chinese spindle over Kress - the spindle takes standard ER20 collets which give continuous coverage of all shank sizes from 1mm to 13mm which is useful with the range of metric shank cutters around, where the Kress needs the specific collet for each size; they run for hours on end with no problem at all; and they are much quieter. My cheap wet-and-dry vacuum I use for dust collection is much noisier than the spindle itself.
    Last edited by Neale; 15-02-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Hi clive
    Not yet got my cnc , but when i get to build it , i was hoping that i could incorporate a low noise spindle/router {neigbours}
    any advice on what is a quiet one? pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    What kind of machine are you going to put it on? The Chinese hat 2.2Kw with vfd are the favoured ones to get like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/200995278383?isa quone? i am only doing iet limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true& lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&f f11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0 they are all over ebay. ..Clive

See the replies above Useless.
    .Me

ahh thanks for that neale, you spoke of it being quiet and more than anything, thats what i am after {neighbours} :[
    any particular chinese model or do i need to design/build or choose a cnc first? hanks. pete
    t

thanks clive, :]

Hi Lee,
    Thanks for the advice, i may or may not be jumping the gun with asking about spindles/routers and bits as i have not even built/had one built for me yet, but i am unsure what is the starting point of a design, but certainly a quiet spindle would be a must in my case.
    pete

A couple of things spring to mind.

The Kress weighs 1.7kg whereas the water cooled spindles seem to weigh around 5.5kg to 6kg. This additional weight, cantilevered out from your Z axis, will need a much more rigid machine to stop it flexing. Also, the water cooled spindle will be able to take bigger cuts, which also increases the loads on the frame.

Also, for your application, whilst you should get the quietest spindle you can, you also need to take into consideration the noise created by the bit cutting into the material.

Watch a few YouTube videos to see the difference between the bit cutting air and cutting wood.

If noise is an issue, it might be worth including an sound deadening enclosure in your designs from the outset.

Adrian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information