. .

Thread: Harrison M250

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi,

I class myself as a jack of all trades and definitely a master of none. I flit between woodworking and metalworking and dabble in ornamental turning. I am keen on older machines and enjoy their restoration. However, I would like to bring myself rather more up to date and learn about CNC machining. I have a Harrison M250 CNC Trainer but haven't a clue as to where to start, despite the fact that I have a programming manual for it. Is their anyone out there who may have some experience of these lathes who can offer some guidance? I live in North Wiltshire and my workshop is always open for visitors.

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hello Arthur

Welcome to the forum (I'm new here too).

I'm no-where near Wiltshire unfortunately (and in any case only know the theory of CNC (so far!) so wouldn't be much help). There'll be some more knowledgeable people along shortly.

Have you found the "on" switch yet? How about trying some g01 moves a safe distance from the chuck, or using M codes to start and stop the spindle?

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and thanks for the encouragement. I can get the display to illuminate but that's about it. I did try inputting a few codes but nothing happened so I guess I did something wrong - I'll give it another go (at a safe distance as you suggest).

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hmm, sounds tricky...
    There are definitely people here who can help diagnose any problems though...

Would it be possible to get some pictures of your machine uploaded? (a "virtual tour" :-) How about a picture of the screen you're seeing - that'll definitely get everyone's creative juices flowing....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Hmm, sounds tricky...
    There are definitely people here who can help diagnose any problems though...

Would it be possible to get some pictures of your machine uploaded? (a "virtual tour" :-) How about a picture of the screen you're seeing - that'll definitely get everyone's creative juices flowing....
    Hi Tom,

Good idea - just taken some snaps. Not sure how to add them but I'll give it a try...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_AAK0434web.jpg 
Views:	1290 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_AAK0447web.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	482  

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Hi Arthur :wave: < smiley has lost his bike.... Never seen that particular lathe so can't offer any help....does it accept G-code? The only Lathes I use regularly are my cheapo Chinese manual a Colchester Mascot and a Triumph.....the CNC is a Leadwell with a scary spindle....My code gets checked before being run through that as I'm a noobcake CNC lathe operator :D

Give us some pages from the manual......Most users of home cnc gear are using Mach or if they have 10 years free EMC2 (I'm gonna get slapped for that emc comment lol )
    Hi Kip,

Yes it does accept G codes, M codes also.

The Harrison brochure lists: ISO codes, decimal point programming, radius programming, 250 blocks of memory (8K!), programming absolute and incremental, cassette programming or RS 232 interface etc.

The machine dates from 1985 so probably predates Mach?

The brochure also stressed the 'ease of use and simplicity with respect to programming'! Mmmm

I'll have to look into scanning a few pages and how to post them.

Thanks,

Arthur

Hi Arthur
    looks like a nice set up, Just about to learn how to use a manual lathe so no advice im afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I watch with interest as I feel like building one but always imagine the tool hitting the chuck :scaredycat:
    Do CNC lathes not have limit swithes then? I planned to cnc my lathe at some point but not sure now

8. Arthur,

I take it you have read the info here on Tony Griffiths site? Looks quite a nice beast...

Hi,

Yes thanks, I've seen the info on the Tony Griffiths site but it only covers the manual version of the M250. Mine is the manual/CNC Trainer that was used to supply colleges etc. I've been using it for a while in manual mode and the stepper motor on the cross slide does not interfere with such use. It's a good piece of kit and I'd really like to explore it more fully.

Arthur

10. I had a quick google for any examples of use but nothing found, although lots of places to buy the manuals... but you have the programming guide already.

So get 'em scanned and I'm sure between Kip, myself and few others we can help you work it out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information