. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendrick57 View Post
    I've just been investigating a diferent route a dedicated usb to parallel port adapter designed for use with Cnc machines the UC100 at a little under £100 not the cheapes but can easily move from computer to computer.
    kendrick
    Going with the UC300 you will have a lot more inputs and outputs than one parallel port plus some analog ones, which means you will need a cheap BOB with only optocouplers and screw terminals.

A friend of mine with a UC100 actually switched from Mach3 to their UCCNC software, and found that it performed better than Mach3. It's 1/3 the price as well. The downside is that it's new, and right now doesn't have as many features as Mach3 does.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    A friend of mine with a UC100 actually switched from Mach3 to their UCCNC software, and found that it performed better than Mach3. It's 1/3 the price as well. The downside is that it's new, and right now doesn't have as many features as Mach3 does.
    as far as the UC300 is concerned that would require a major modification of the cnc's controller box not somthing I want to do with this machine, the UC100 is to a major degree plug and play.
    I already have the Mach3 license I did not think that UCCNC was compatable with the 6040 China machine I bought, before jazz and the rest of those out there that hate the chineese cnc range of machines sorry it's a fait accompli I am only interested in constructive comments on questions asked not my choice of machine.
    kendrick

It's not the CNC machine that the software talks to, it's the BOB/controller...this then sends pulses to the machine's steppers to move the spindle to the desired positions.

The Chinese machines serve a purpose and if you accept and work within their limitations then I think that they're great as you're then a member of the CNC world....
    Neil...

Build log...here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

That is the way I look at it if I waited until I had enough money to by a realy good machine I would never have enough, I set an amount I could afford put an O.N.O on it and went looking that was what I found. It is not the best but it ticks all of my boxes.
    kendrick

The issue, Kendrick, is that often when you don't have too much knowledge about the subject (but are willing to learn!) then it's easy to ask the wrong question. In your case, you possibly started out with the wrong question, about a USB to parallel converter. In the context of a CNC router and Mach3, this really doesn't make a lot of sense but it might not be obvious why not. If you say, "I have this Chinese router that has a BOB that needs to plug into a parallel port, and I have a laptop with Mach3 but no parallel port so how do I make the two ends meet?" then that puts it into a better context, and you are more likely to get a useful answer. The correct answer to your original question was, in effect, "You can't get there from here", but actually there are some good solutions to the actual problem.

Of course, you might get some ribbing about some aspects of what you've said. Unfortunately, to get any sense out of these forums you have to take the rough with the smooth, or at least have a skin like a rhinoceros, but you will get some really useful feedback and suggestions if you pick through what is said. Just don't insist on getting your exact question answered, because with the best will in the world, sometimes it's just not the right question! As for Chinese machines - I have no experience of them, except that I'm sure that they won't do quite all that the advertising claims. But then, what does? I'm sure that used within its capabilities, it will be able to do a good job for you. I run a home-built router built from MDF. Frankly, it's crap, but it does work and as long as I am careful about what I am trying to do, it does a useful job. Your machine is probably a lot better than mine. It's also taught me that I need something better, which is what I am building at the moment, but we all come to this game from different directions, with different needs, and, frankly, different budgets. Good luck to you, carry on asking questions, listen carefully to the answers and think about whether or not you asked the right question, and if you need to, ask why someone said or recommended what they did.

Have fun!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the advice you're absolutely right I started this thread from a position of just about compleat ignorance.
    my knowlege has increased a lot but still has a way to go.
    I expected there to be both positive and negative comments, in life I have to find the good ideas from the bad why should here be any diferent.
    As for using a laptop and having problems withthe power saveing features I think I've switched them all off the laptop was switched on at 12 at 4 it was still going strong no screensaver no switch of no nothing it was still going at full power. I will still have to prove it with the Cnc but things are looking good.
    will post again whe I have tried the uc100.
    kendrick

before jazz and the rest of those out there that hate the chineese cnc range of machines sorry it's a fait accompli I am only interested in constructive comments on questions asked not my choice of machine.
    How Rude.!!!. . . Did I say a word about the pile of shite.?

The UC100 is ok but it's still USB based and therefore will at some time have same power dropout issues lots of USB based devices encounter. Esp with a Laptop.!

For spindle control thru software you'll need speed control board or BOB that has one built into it. If Chinese machine came with the cheap Nasty DC spindle then chances are it won't have this and speed will be controlled directly from the DC speed controller with a Pot.
    If spindle is AC and controlled with VFD then you may have BOB with PWM output so can control speed using this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    How Rude.!!!. . . Did I say a word about the pile of shite.?

The UC100 is ok but it's still USB based and therefore will at some time have same power dropout issues lots of USB based devices encounter. Esp with a Laptop.!

For spindle control thru software you'll need speed control board or BOB that has one built into it. If Chinese machine came with the cheap Nasty DC spindle then chances are it won't have this and speed will be controlled directly from the DC speed controller with a Pot.
    If spindle is AC and controlled with VFD then you may have BOB with PWM output so can control speed using this.
    Sorry jazz I'm new and before I joined I looked at a few threads in which you always popped up with scathing comments about the Chinese shite as you put it. I know it's not the best but it will do what I want it to do I was on a limited budget.
    as for the laptop I went through the power features and disabled them all, the flow of data will probably still be interrupted every so often but the UC100 should cope with that.
    the reason for the uc100 as apposed to the various other methods out there is ease of fitting and not wanting to open up the control box.
    looks like the spindle is a cheap and nasty DC one but should be a lot better than those on the 3040, I'll live with the spindle being under manual control, if the speed can never be controlled but there is a pin to switch the motor on and off I'll see if I can make up a relay circuit to control the start stop of the spindle.
    I have at least got a pot and herz digital readout on the control box I'll learn.
    just got a set of diamond shaped cutting bits for the Cnc came from China so there is no knowing the quality, anyone know where I can get better quality bits must be diamond cut 2mm or a bit less I'm cutting carbon fiber up to 5 mm thick.

kendrick

Sorry jazz I'm new and before I joined I looked at a few threads in which you always popped up with scathing comments about the Chinese shite as you put it.
    It's ok no offense taken my skin is a little thicker than that.! My Scathing of the machines are based on experience repairing or helping others repair them so it's very valid IMO. BUT if you had looked hard enough you'd seen I've also said many times they are great learning tools just don't expect the world from them as they are not strong enough and component quality is poor so they wear quickly.

Regards the UC100 and USB drop outs then it will still happen from time to time as it's power based issue with USB and the UC100 draws it's power from USB so the data buffers won't make any difference. This happens on other USB based Motion control devices but most allow power to be drawn from an external source and it's avoided.
    Often people don't know it's the USB causing the problem and just blame Mach3.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information