Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Hi, I have been designing some products and producing prototypes and small runs on my own router. I am now looking to start a small production of one product with the intension of expanding the range if sales take off. I do not have a vacuum pump and honestly the thought of being chained to my router fills me with dread. Some details below

    1. The design is cut from one sheet of 12mm birch ply
    2. Each sheet makes 4 products
    3. I can cut one sheet in 15 mins easy so I assume a commercial company will do more so lets assume 5 sheets
    4. I need a decent finish, no tear out but it does not need to be perfectly smooth ie. tooling marks are ok.

    I think I would be happy to pay 5 per product so 20 a sheet which works out at 100 per hour.

    If anyone is involved with commercial wood routing does this sound plausible?

    Many thanks
    Gav
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

    ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

  2. #2
    Most companies charge between 40 and 100+ per hour. To price it correctly for you they wil need to see the drawing etc

    I'd suggest emailing/telephoning a few and getting some quotes

  3. #3
    Thanks Bobby,

    Do you think it would be wise to post details of my project online so I can get some pointers on manufacture? I would like to get some feedback on manufacture but I am tore between opening myself up to copy cats and on the other hand benefiting from the help of the forums.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

    ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    and honestly the thought of being chained to my router fills me with dread
    Same could be true for the people that own big machines

    Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    I think I would be happy to pay 5 per product so 20 a sheet which works out at 100 per hour.
    Depends how many you want made at once. If you hope to make 10 sheets at that price, good luck. 1 hour of work starts from the moment that somebody answers your email or listens to you on the phone, then finding the correct material, checking your drawing and so on until 1 piece is cut and you approve it.

    So i assume that at that price sb. will want a work at least for a full working day.

    Better find somebody on a friendly basis. A friendly forum member with a big machine that needs paying off. Or what about laser cutting it?



    Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    ...I have been designing some products and producing prototypes and small runs on my own router. I am now looking to start a small production of one product with the intention of expanding the range if sales take off.

    Whats the point of having laser and cnc and then sourcing the work to others?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

  5. #5
    I'd say you need to spend some pennies in the market to really find out and get to know what is what.....

    I agree, finding a friendly chap or chap'ess with a suitable machine that needs work is a great idea! :)

  6. #6
    Ger21's Avatar
    Lives in Detroit, United States. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 508. Received thanks 68 times, giving thanks to others 0 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    We charge between $100-$125/hour US when we do any routing for people with our Morbidelli. That's if I can just throw a sheet on it and cut the parts. If there are hold down issues due to the size of the parts, additional costs may apply. Programming cost may also apply, depending on what I have to work with. It's not uncommon to need to redraw everything when I receive .dxf files.
    Gerry
    ______________________________________________
    UCCNC 2017 Screenset

    Mach3 2010 Screenset

    JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

  7. #7
    Get in touch with these guys http://www.wupdoodle.com
    I've dealt with them a few times and are more than likely able to cater to what you want. Reasonably priced and great to deal with

  8. #8
    Have you got any numbers back yet?
    Unless you have a very good machine, I'd guess 25% faster is pretty conservative estimate.

    And no, don't post your design on forums, just send it to the cnc shops and ask for a price.


    Actually, seeing as its safe to assume you will be able to get them made at 5 each, you should have made 50 or 100 yourself and have them on sale by now.

  9. #9
    My machine is quite old 1997, but I can still use modern tool pathing software and it cuts pretty fast. I have a sales rep from Busch coming tomorrow to talk about vacuum pumps if I get the vacuum table setup it will be a decent setup.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

    ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

  10. Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    Hi, I have been designing some products and producing prototypes and small runs on my own router. I am now looking to start a small production of one product with the intension of expanding the range if sales take off. I do not have a vacuum pump and honestly the thought of being chained to my router fills me with dread. Some details below

    1. The design is cut from one sheet of 12mm birch ply
    2. Each sheet makes 4 products
    3. I can cut one sheet in 15 mins easy so I assume a commercial company will do more so lets assume 5 sheets
    4. I need a decent finish, no tear out but it does not need to be perfectly smooth ie. tooling marks are ok.

    I think I would be happy to pay 5 per product so 20 a sheet which works out at 100 per hour.

    If anyone is involved with commercial wood routing does this sound plausible?

    Many thanks
    Gav

    Hi Gav

    Have you managed to get someone to do this??
    I could probably be able to help he you out we will take on small runs and don't charge through the roof

    have a look at www.cncroutingscotland.com
    Last edited by CNC routing Scotland; 29-04-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. production methods for routing items from sheet (repeat batches)
    By jimbo_cnc in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 10:36 PM
  2. Job opportunities available (12 vacancies, 35-38 hour week)
    By Scott31459 in forum Opportunities Available & Sought
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-07-2014, 05:41 PM
  3. Win a prize every hour (updated) - Starts tomorrow!
    By Lee Roberts in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-01-2011, 07:48 PM
  4. RFQ: CNC plasma contract
    By D-man in forum Projects, Jobs & Requests
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
  5. RFQ: Cost request for cnc/routing.
    By Conan257 in forum Projects, Jobs & Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-04-2009, 10:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •