. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guys,

I don’t have a problem with any of you promoting, supporting, endorsing or being affiliated with machines and/or companies. The point is to help others and give advice; you do not need to be neutral at all.

If people want to "plug" related products that’s fine to, as long as it’s done tastefully and what comes of the "plug" is a decent discussion.

I can’t see that Dave received any abuse; I can see that Kip gave his opinion and also his recommendation of an alternative machine. You then continued to support Dave with regards to the sieg machine John. Great job you are doing please continue, if you get some unintentional additional business from it that is Great and not a problem.

"I can’t manage peoples personalities, only there behaviour".

Peace.
    .Me

Although this post isn't probably relevant anymore i've just purchased a Sieg KX3 and I am really happy with it for a small mill. I purchased it second hand off ebay but it was like new. All I will say there was about 0.07mm backlash in each of the screws consecutively and the chap who had it previously hadn't compensated for that in Mach 3 and he was complaining about the finish on his parts.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21151470_10154834488745233_8125463378769032547_n.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	22764 This was only part of the problem the machine is heavy for a small machine but if you see on the photo the guy had it on the shittiest stand imaginable which was a self build and was causing the majority of his machining issues as literally it would move everytime the machine made a cut. I am currently in the process of building a high quality enclosure and changing the standard R8 to a TTS/ Tormach Tooling System holder with Pneumatic drawbar. I will do a seperate post on that and please check out my Youtube vids.

I have a SIEG KX3 with servo motors and their PC ethernet controller - not sure if the G-code is similar to the MACH controller ones
    The biggest issue is I haven't been able to sort out a post for it
    I don't have sample G-code to compare with

Can anyone assist please?

For CAM software I am using BOBCAD

You are going to have a few issues here depending on the settings of your machine. Personally I would just use Mach 3 as your machine software and use the machine settings file that comes with the machine. I would also use Vectric aspire and use their Mach3 metric arcs output code.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Westmach For This Useful Post:

I've been trying to decide what CNC to get for the last 6 months. It's doing my head in as it's a big investment and I don't want to screw up.

I was originally going to get some sort of mill and convert it, however, I want to start making things now, not spend the next year building a cnc.

I saw one of these Sieg kx3 on the weekend and was impressed.
    My only worry is the spindle speed seems a bit low. 5000rpm max. Looking at a speeds and feeds chart for carbide tools in aluminium.
    3 - 6 mm dia = 10,000 rpm
    8 - 12 mm 8,000 rpm
    14- 16 mm 6,000 rpm
    18 -20 mm 4,000 rpm

Would it be a problem?
    Is there an upgrade motor?

Cheers, Marty

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyMarty View Post
    I've been trying to decide what CNC to get for the last 6 months. It's doing my head in as it's a big investment and I don't want to screw up.

Cheers, Marty
    Depends if you want to make £money with it or just use it for hobby use with the BIG question of how much are you prepared to spend.

I have a much older Syil SX3 @3500rpm & with a little TLC she can kick out some very accurate parts with good surface finishes in ally. You just need to experiment with feeds & speeds until you hit your sweet spot and never take the various calculators speeds for granted. I use cutters from 1mm upto 16mm in mainly 6082 t6 & get great results from engraving right through to 3d carving.

Your biggest plus with going with a KX3 would be the user base is at your level and prepared to help with what might seem unsurmountable problems to you at first but usually turn out to be the small niggles that are just part of the learning curve. You don't get that with the pro machines . . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information