. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Location unknown. Last Activity: 07-06-2009 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 13.
    can anyone tell me what they think of the sieg kx3 milling machine .:feedback:

Having been closely tied up with the development of these machines I'm probably one of the best persons to ask but my replies 'may' be seen as being biased.

Can you be more specific in what you want to know and I'll try to answer as truthfully as possible.

John S -

Location unknown. Last Activity: 07-06-2009 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 13.
    What I'm looking for is a milling machine to buy that I can use to mill some aluminium parts for a 1/6th scale r/c tank ( drive sprockets ;sprockets ;idler wheels ;bump stops ; Turret turnings; basically all the milling machine parts) I'd like a machine that would be easily capable to handle all of these componants. the biggest part are the sprockets, which are about 5 inch diameter. You say Kip, this machine is not to your liking, what sort of machine would you suggest?

:feedback:

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DGH View Post
    You say Kip, this machine is not to your liking, what sort of machine would you suggest?

-Dave
    Probably a Hurco VM2 with 40 tool changer, 25 horsepower spindle that runs off single phase plug and cost £199.99 but we can dream on can't we ?

Or Kip can build you one for less than that.

John S -

can anyone tell me if this machine is up to machining these parts:feedback:

Not miffed at all my son, I don't sell them so no vested interest there.
    Looked at the picture you posted but can't see any motors, the OP asked for CNC and in this post the Sieg KX3.

So to post back to the OP there is no reason why a KX3 cannot do what you need.
    Biggest limitation on the KX3 for what you require is the Y axis travel is 150mm.
    The X3 converted to CNC is 190mm in the Y axis.

This is a stainless steel loco wheel 85mm diameter, 10mm thick cut with a 4mm carbide cutter.

Batch of 12mm square lathe tools in high tensile steel.

Flywheel 80mm diameter in brass, drawn, coded and cut in 40 minutes to prove how easy the concept of CNC is.

Two housings in aluminium approx 5" x 3" for a vintage Alvis car, all CNC machined including the thread milling but not the welded bridge which was done after.

Helical gear done on the 4th axis with simple form tool.

Herringbone gear done in one pass as one piece on the 4th axis.

Last edited by John S; 30-05-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spell checked
    John S -

??????

I don't have any machines to sell. I have about 9 CNC's here, none of which are for sale.
    The OP asked a question, I'm trying to be helpful.

If you have something to sell him then please don't let me get in your way as I say I don't sell machines.

John S -

Nice examples john, thank you for your support towards Dave.

I also recived your email and a note has been made, please continue as you have been and i will look into it.
    .Me

No Dave is the original poster, to whom we are both replying, his sig is at the bottom of his posts.
    John S -

Kip that picture isn't an X3 SX3 or KX3, it's a special machine made for JET in the US with a sliding Y axis.

I still don't have a vested interest in the KX mills, I worked on them but don't sell them, the quoted post from Helmsworthlad was for the X3 which has actually been discontinued since the appearance of the KX series.
    That part of ARC's website hasn't been updated but I am thinking about resurecting the kits as I'm getting about 2 enquiries a month.

I didn't realise that you had to be completely neutral to post on this site, after all I have seen many pointers to people making and selling things.

I haven't hid behind anything, I made it clear I worked with both Seig and ARC, perhaps that has upset some ? I don't know.

The OP, posted asking for advise, all he got to start with was abuse.
    If there as anyone else on this group who can truthfully answer with practical experiance of what the poster asked then by all means let him post.
    So far I haven't seen any, I was loath to at first because of my links, I even said I could be accused of being biast and instaed of saying how good / bad what features etc I posted actual parts made on one.

John S -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information