1. #1
    PSG's Avatar
    Lives in Ashford, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19-02-2015 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 13.
    Hi,

    If i require the machine to work on 8 x 4 sheets, what is the way to determine how big the bed should be, allowing clearances for board run off and router head position/offset?

    Many thanks

    Phil

  2. #2
    Hi, I'd draw a quick sketch of your proposed machine and see that way. It's a bit like saying how longs a piece of string really...it depends on bearing spacing on your machine's X, Y and Z axis as to how big you need the bed.
    Neil...

    Build log...here

  3. #3
    Ger21's Avatar
    Lives in Detroit, United States. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 508. Received thanks 68 times, giving thanks to others 0 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    The actual table top is usually the size of the sheet.
    But, I'd allow for the tool to reach 25-50mm past the sheet on all sides, and then add your bearing spacing. This is the minimum length of your rails.
    Gerry
    ______________________________________________
    UCCNC 2017 Screenset

    Mach3 2010 Screenset

    JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    The actual table top is usually the size of the sheet.
    But, I'd allow for the tool to reach 25-50mm past the sheet on all sides, and then add your bearing spacing. This is the minimum length of your rails.
    Maybe consider an ATC which would require an additional area. G.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Maybe consider an ATC which would require an additional area. G.
    Geoffrey Guy is struggling to get his head around needed cutting size don't blow is brains out by suggesting ATC. .

    Neil's suggestion of knocking a drawing up is sound advise and well worth the effort, esp if space is tight.?

  6. #6
    Jazz, I did not mean to complicate or confuse, I was only adding to Ger21's post. G.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Jazz, I did not mean to complicate or confuse, I was only adding to Ger21's post. G.
    I wasn't critising you Geoffrey it was a good valid suggestion just found it funny when poor lads is still trying to workout basics and you hit him with ATC.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 21-02-2015 at 01:07 AM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PSG View Post
    Hi,

    If i require the machine to work on 8 x 4 sheets, what is the way to determine how big the bed should be, allowing clearances for board run off and router head position/offset?

    Many thanks
    Phil
    Have a look on some commercial machines websites and see what dimensions their machines are.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  10. #9
    I presume you've checked this thread out? http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8242-...ght-ply-cutter I'm sure if you ask Matt nicely he'll tell you what size his machine ended up.
    Neil...

    Build log...here

Similar Threads

  1. How to cnc cut 1-2mm stainless sheet ??
    By Ricardoco in forum Metalwork Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-03-2013, 04:06 AM
  2. THC lifting off sheet?
    By lockyg in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
  3. 3mm sheet brass
    By cropwell in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-10-2012, 09:55 AM
  4. RFQ: small, primitive Press with cutting and bending capability
    By Noel.C in forum Projects, Jobs & Requests
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29-05-2012, 11:37 PM
  5. Mini Lathes and their capability
    By GeorgeD in forum Lathes, Lathe Rebuilding & Conversions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •