ok one problem at a time.
The biggest problem I have I suppose at the moment is speed Now I never expected it to be super fast, the speed it went at when I first got it going I could live with but after calibrating the machine to move the correct distance(to start off with it thought 10mm was 31mm) the speed of the machine went from a tortoise to a snail. if the motors could move at one speed before the calibration it should be able to after.
It feels like a problem with speed of travel somewhere in mach3 the travel speed has been set at a set speed in mm per second.

MIRICAL APIFINY OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT
I solved the problem, it was in the Mach3 settings under Motor Turning in the config tab in the top menu

Its the setting marked in red that is the killer, it controls travel speed it was set to 120mm per minute I will keep increasing it until the gantry does not move any faster I've set all 3 axis to 999 the largest number it will accept, changing the acceleration number to a higher figure helps as well from one corner of the cutting area to the other by positioning by hand in the far corner with the other corner as home and hitting goto zero it took 43 seconds I think that is very respectable now I just have to confirm cutting speed is still ok.
Now I have the travel speed up to a good speed I can see the slower speed of the cutting speed.
Kendrick