. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I have been searching online and reading the threads on here but so many names come up I get a bit lost.

Basically I have just got a little rc drone and I want to cut a few small parts on my cnc I built for cutting my surfboards. It is pretty much going to be a one off job so don't really want to go spending a lot on fancy programs. I am looking for something that can literally just cut these 2d parts out of flat sheet. I do have access to a old copy of auto cad so would be potable to draw it on there but if there was a simple program that did booth then I would prefer that. the surfboard program I use is really nice and simple and does it all in one basically but I cant used it do do anything else.

any recommendations would be great if any one of the free ones out there?

below is basically the 3 parts I need to cut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	14705  
    Last edited by charlieuk; 20-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.

CamBam can do both the CAD and CAM for this job and it has a free trial period. http://www.cambam.info/downloads/ get this version - Version 0.9.8N
    I think you get 40 free uses with the trial period.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 20-02-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Cool cheers 40 trial sessions will be plenty

so I ended up drawing it in auto cad as I have used that a bit and I started to follow a you tube vid on how to load the dxf file but as soon as I try it freezes cam bam up and says invalid arc multiple times in the task bar at the bottom? any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    so I ended up drawing it in auto cad as I have used that a bit and I started to follow a you tube vid on how to load the dxf file but as soon as I try it freezes cam bam up and says invalid arc multiple times in the task bar at the bottom? any ideas?
    I don't use CamBam But there are open vectors in the dxf I have closed them with Aspire see if this works. ..Clive
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

cheers clive many thanks yes that has worked I will have to try and figure how to do that in auto cad like I say I only have very basic skills. I will now try and carry on with the tutorial.

I use alphacam and that uses "join", but I believe the same thing in autocad is "unite". Most other peoples DXF files that I use need to be cleaned up a bit AND JOINED to arrive at complete geometries. G.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GEOFFREY For This Useful Post:

I think im slowly figuring it out! I think I have managed to get the g code in to mach 3 however it seams that the z axis is going the wrong way ie when it should be cutting it raising up and when its not its going down towards the table? I assume there is machine setting some were that need to be changed? I cant see anything along the top at the moment but will have another look with a fresh head tomorrow. thanks

edit just realized I needed to say - depth of cut.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 21-02-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    I think im slowly figuring it out! I think I have managed to get the g code in to mach 3 however it seams that the z axis is going the wrong way ie when it should be cutting it raising up and when its not its going down towards the table? I assume there is machine setting some were that need to be changed? I cant see anything along the top at the moment but will have another look with a fresh head tomorrow. thanks

edit just realized I needed to say - depth of cut.
    Your Z home zero should be at the top and all Gcode Z moves going -ve Clive

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I use alphacam and that uses "join", but I believe the same thing in autocad is "unite". Most other peoples DXF files that I use need to be cleaned up a bit AND JOINED to arrive at complete geometries. G.
    Geoffrey (We met at the model show last year) Thanks. Join does work in autocad I don't think unite does. When I use autocad using join it appears to be able to join only one arc at a time (I must investigate further) but in Aspire you can just select all objects and join the lot at once. Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 21-02-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information