. .
    Being brand new to all of this, can somebody tell me what kind of wiring I should be buying for wiring up my steppers, drivers, limit switches etc?

I understand I will want a range of colours but will standard 3amp 7/0.2 equipment wire be OK? Or do i need something special and, if so, can you suggest where I might find it online, thanks.

Glyn
    Last edited by glynster; 28-02-2015 at 03:12 PM.

You need screened wire for the steppers and E-stop, limit switches. You need 4 core 1.5mm/2 CY cable for the Steppers and depending on limit switch type 2 or 3 core 0.5 or 0.75mm/2 for limits etc.

You'll find what you need here http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/CY-Cable.html

With the shield you only connect one end often the end in control box to ground. Grounding is very important when wiring control box. You want just one Ground point and then take every other ground connection back to this point, this is called star grounding and if you don't do it this way your open to all sorts of strange happening so pay careful attention to the grounding.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-02-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Hey Jazz, are you saying that I should connect the shielding of my stepper motor->driver cables to the ground point? I would appreciate if you can show some photos, many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    Hey Jazz, are you saying that I should connect the shielding of my stepper motor->driver cables to the ground point? I would appreciate if you can show some photos, many thanks!
    Yes that's exactly what I'm saying and I can't show you photos of one installed in control box but can show pic of how it's done, it's not rocket science.

Just solder Separate wire to shield, fold back and put shrink wrap over then run wire back to Ground point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0664.jpg 
Views:	4738 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	14744 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0665.jpg 
Views:	4957 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	14745

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Great, thanks for the info Jazz. I've had trouble finding single core shielded wire though. CSE cables looks a good resource.

Quote Originally Posted by glynster View Post
    Great, thanks for the info Jazz. I've had trouble finding single core shielded wire though. CSE cables looks a good resource.
    Why would you want single core shielded.?

You only need shielded cable on signal cables, So stepper wires and any wire going to Inputs, Ie Limits, e-stop.

Try to keep cables carrying power away from Signal cables to avoid noise interference. Obviously There places where you can't but try keep any crossing or running along side signal wires to a minimum. Don't Tie wrap power and signal wires together.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes that's exactly what I'm saying and I can't show you photos of one installed in control box but can show pic of how it's done, it's not rocket science.

Just solder Separate wire to shield, fold back and put shrink wrap over then run wire back to Ground point.

Thanks Jazz thats very clear and as I expected, however few more questions if I may:

- What to do in case of using connectors for example like this one http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...h-connector-12 where drivers are connected to patch cable with this connector?
    do I ground the patch cable only? the shield on the long cable to motor would be left as is in that case.

- With that cable in your photos how are able to distinguish the 3 black wires from each other??

thanks!

Cables normally have numbers printed on them. If not get a multimeter and do a continuity test on them...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by Noplace View Post
    Thanks Jazz thats very clear and as I expected, however few more questions if I may:

- What to do in case of using connectors for example like this one http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...h-connector-12 where drivers are connected to patch cable with this connector?
    do I ground the patch cable only? the shield on the long cable to motor would be left as is in that case.

- With that cable in your photos how are able to distinguish the 3 black wires from each other??

thanks!
    Same idea because the 4 pin connector is not used at the Drive end. To keep shield continuity the Connector will probably have a shield connection point. If not then create your own by soldering or trapping shield on the connector body.

The Black wires have numbers printed on them you just can't see them in pics. But for safety and piece of mind it's also a good idea to check continuity as you go along like neil says as it's very easy to get wire in wrong place, even with coloured wires your eyes go wonky when it starts looking like spagetti.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-03-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Thread Information