. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi
    I don't have a CNC machine of any description so can't help with the software side of things but from what you are describing it would appear that the stepper ratio setting is @ fault, ie you need double the amount of steps to get the correct movement of you axis, should be any easy enough fix for someone that is familiar with the software you are running, hopefully someone with more knowledge can help.
    Regards
    Mike
    PS
    Apologies if that was a load of bo**ocks
    Last edited by mekanik; 13-03-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Lives in Northampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-03-2015 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    We used to sell the Redsail machines many years ago. From memory, the M700 and M500 lasers from Redsail are driven directly in the X and Y axis without reduction belts. This means the X and Y stepper drives should have the same dip switch settings (the micro toggle switches on the motor drives, between the two connectors).
    If these are identical, check the Vendor param/ step length(um) values. Again, the X and Y axis values should be the same (or almost, as belt tension stretch may mean that the values need tweaking a little to get accurate results).

Hi thanks very much for the reply. I managed to sort out the x axis problem by halving the values etc. Now though, I have it perfectly aligned and It won't cut. Even when I check each mirror to make sure its central, then keep the laser head still and pulse at full power it doesn't go through the wood. I seem to get about 1mm engraved if that. Alignment is perfect it just seems there is not enough power even if I have it at 90%
    Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance

How many watts is the laser tube and what type of wood are you cutting?
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Lives in Northampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-03-2015 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
    How many watts is the laser tube and what type of wood are you cutting?
    Wood is a very variable material and difficult to define the power and speed required.
    However, if the laser tube in the M700 is 50w then try to get a piece of 3mm acrylic which should be able to be cut at a speed of 8mm/sec and power of 65%
    If this is not possible, then I suspect the laser tube may be low in power, or, the optics are not clean and aligned correctly.
    All this is assuming the software machine parameters are set correctly.

I hope you are successful at getting it working.

Strangely I have the same issue. I've finally got mine working and now it won't cut through 6mm acrylic at full power (50w). Shows a slight shadow so i'm thinking its probably alignment or cleaning issues.... anyone any other ideas???

Put a touch of receipt paper over the last mirror and test fire the laser. It should be center of the hole. Shadowing usually means a cracked mirror(including the last one in the tube) or the beam is clipping on of the mirror mounts(usually the laser head).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Think it's the mirrors. Took them off....they're a mess. Gonna purchase new ones and see how they go

Are they broken? Usually nail polish remover with clean them up a treat.

No not broken but look old and rusty, like old pitted mirrors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information