. .
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Here are closer pictures. All laser-cut steel is 8mm and ballnut brackets are welded...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	1534 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	15581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	1563 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	15582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	1545 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	15583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	1539 
Size:	358.9 KB 
ID:	15584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	1582 
Size:	354.3 KB 
ID:	15585  

So guys do you think I'm OK with the design?
    Next week I want to order screws, rails and other stuff. Unless...

I'd brace your ballnut mounts, they just look a little flimsy compared to the rest if it. Looking good!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yes, why would you save money from the ball nut housing? They are so cheap and are preferable , cause with coupled with straight plate, there is no need for reinforcing, but as you have done it doesn't look strong.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Yep just beef up the Ballnut mounts and your set to go.!
    One thing I see is that you don't have much room for adjustment or alignment with that threaded bracket setup so give a little thought to how you'll do this for both directions. Ballnut housings tend to be easier to adjust than fastening ballnut direct to plate like that.

Those little white brackets sticking out on the end plates are those for triggering limit switches at each end.? . . . If so have you thought about using a traveling switch and save your self a lot of wiring and messing around with brackets etc. I do all my machines this way and it saves alot of work and easy to setup.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yep just beef up the Ballnut mounts and your set to go.!
    One thing I see is that you don't have much room for adjustment or alignment with that threaded bracket setup so give a little thought to how you'll do this for both directions. Ballnut housings tend to be easier to adjust than fastening ballnut direct to plate like that.
    Thanks guys! Improvements implemented.

Those little white brackets sticking out on the end plates are those for triggering limit switches at each end.? . . . If so have you thought about using a traveling switch and save your self a lot of wiring and messing around with brackets etc. I do all my machines this way and it saves alot of work and easy to setup.
    Yes these are brackets for limit switches. And I have not thought about using only one traveling switch!
    Simple and ingenious - for sure I will also implement this!

I will go ahead and order my stuff from BST Automation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	1501 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	15602  

Thats better.

I believe Dean meant 2 switches per axis, one wired home other wired like limit. With the benefit of all limits and all homes wired together respectively with the exclusion of the A home switch /second long axis/ which has to be wired separately, so you could perform gantry squaring

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    Thats better.

I believe Dean meant 2 switches per axis, one wired home other wired like limit. With the benefit of all limits and all homes wired together respectively with the exclusion of the A home switch /second long axis/ which has to be wired separately, so you could perform gantry squaring
    Are you using similar setup on your 1st build?

I will put 2pcs homing switches on both sides of gantry for squaring. And only single limit switch on long axis and make it traveling?

Yep, similar. As i described it above. Though tit did not come to my mind to use only one limit switch at Y,, anyway, i bought more than i needed.

I would say that the 4 most important things are:
    -to drive them at 24VDC
    -to mount them so that the head of the sensor is perpendicular to steel plate or whatever and body long wise in the same axis of movement
    - shielded wire
    - good quality flex wire not very thin, if budget permits same as stepper cable

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

What an awesome build ! I'd be interested to make the same one along the way ! Not sure if I did this right but I send you a PM ;) I'd be interested to make drawings from your model :)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information