. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ive got the side plates. They are water cut in 10mm thick aluminum. Ive tighten the upper part of the gantry and it feels really stiffer than I thought. I tried hitting it with a peace of wood and I could feel really small vibrations when hitting from the side so I might need the back plate as well. Otherwise it feels like hitting a rock

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sideplates.JPG 
Views:	1128 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	14961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sideplates2.JPG 
Views:	1089 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	14962  

The Y-plate is on its place and all screws in the frame work is tightened firmly (a lot of screws). It took me almost two hours just to saw the plate out of 20mm aluminum and machine the edges. And one hour more to make the holes for the screws. It seems to slide nicely on the bearings and it feels solid already. No ball-screw installed yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tplate.JPG 
Views:	1068 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	15106  

Starting to look very useful. Parts mainly form the scrapyard? We could do with a few scrapyards over here that keep all that lovely ally profile in stock!!! Great stuff. G.

Thank you. Yes. The item rods are from scrapped out prototype machines. As well as the stepper motors. I have been working with machine tests for 18 years on different kinds of machines mosty in the pick and place buisseness. So I know where to find the goodies ;)

Looking good Bofred but I see a potential trouble spot that could be made much stronger for not a lot work.? . . .

The gantry rails mounted directly to the profile with no reference edges for alignment and support could slip under use just hanging from the rail bolts. I would mount rails to a piece of plate with machined reference edges that is same width and height as gantry then mount that to profile. It will massively stiffen the gantry and allow much easier setup.
    I would also put a slot in front of plate for ballscrew bracket to come thru which will offer protection to the ballscrew/nut.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Looking good Bofred but I see a potential trouble spot that could be made much stronger for not a lot work.? . . .

The gantry rails mounted directly to the profile with no reference edges for alignment and support could slip under use just hanging from the rail bolts. I would mount rails to a piece of plate with machined reference edges that is same width and height as gantry then mount that to profile. It will massively stiffen the gantry and allow much easier setup.
    I would also put a slot in front of plate for ballscrew bracket to come thru which will offer protection to the ballscrew/nut.
    Thank you Jazzcnc for good feedback,
    I might have underestimated the forces on the X linear rails but my milling skills is very limited. Its only M5 screws on the linear rail.

Maybe I can make a support plate screwed in the item rod slot above the rail and after the X-rail is aligned against the Y-plate slide and tighten the support plate against the rail so it will not slip out of position. That would be an easier solution for me.

I also might combine the support plate with the ballscrew protection plate you suggested with a slot for the X-linear movement. That was a good idea. I dont know how the connection between the ballscrew and X-plate looks like yet. But it might work :)

Quote Originally Posted by bofred View Post
    Thank you Jazzcnc for good feedback,
    I might have underestimated the forces on the X linear rails but my milling skills is very limited. Its only M5 screws on the linear rail.

Maybe I can make a support plate screwed in the item rod slot above the rail and after the X-rail is aligned against the Y-plate slide and tighten the support plate against the rail so it will not slip out of position. That would be an easier solution for me.

I also might combine the support plate with the ballscrew protection plate you suggested with a slot for the X-linear movement. That was a good idea. I dont know how the connection between the ballscrew and X-plate looks like yet. But it might work :)
    I've got a slotted Y axis (you call it X I think?) It looks like this from the back...

Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I've got a slotted Y axis (you call it X I think?) It looks like this from the back...
    Nice picture Neil. That looks robust enough with nice machined parts. I might able to do a similar solution. Thank you.
    Yes my X seems to be your Y. I'm stuck in the split axis world. But I don't really understand why gauntries call that axis Y :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information