. .
    Hi there everyone, I'm Nik and I'm new to this but diving in at the deep end I'm hoping to build (with some help) a plasma table, I'm a bit of an engineer with plenty of tools (no idea what some of them do lol) and willing to share my tools and workshop with anyone willing to help me out, cheers Nik

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNik View Post
    Hi there everyone, I'm Nik and I'm new to this but diving in at the deep end I'm hoping to build (with some help) a plasma table, I'm a bit of an engineer with plenty of tools (no idea what some of them do lol) and willing to share my tools and workshop with anyone willing to help me out, cheers Nik
    Welcome to the forum Nik. Start by trying to get something done in cad such as Sketchup or the like and read through the many build logs on here I think there is a few plasma machine been done. Good luck with the build. Clive

Thanks Clive for the welcome, I've been a bit of a lurker for sometime, seen a lot of builds, I was hoping to have someone who's made their own cnc machine in Gloucester to see a home build in action,
    I'll get some drawings posted up to see what everyone thinks

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Thanks Clive for the welcome, I've been a bit of a lurker for sometime, seen a lot of builds, I was hoping to have someone who's made their own cnc machine in Gloucester to see a home build in action,
    I'll get some drawings posted up to see what everyone thinks
    No problem pity your not a bit closer you would be more than welcome to come over but I am sure there will be somebody in your area. Do put some drawings up for critique and don't take any flack to heart they are a good bunch on here and mean well. ..Clive

Yes it's a shame I'm not closer, I'll probably draw it on paper and take a pic, I'm using an ipad normally and I don't there is any good drawing apps for it, although I need to embrace technology

Well you are going to need a PC at sometime to at least control the plasma so load some cad on it and have a go☺ Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    and don't take any flack to heart they are a good bunch on here and mean well. ..Clive
    Does that include Me.? . . . . or am I excluded from the Bunch.. . . . . . . . If excluded I'll start the the flack nar then.!! . . Lol

DrNik Get proper Bloody computer them Girly i-Fairy thingy mi bobs are no use nor ornament.. . . . . . Welcome by the way.!

Physicly Building plasma machine frame is doddle as there is no real strength required and precision/resolution is on low side for cnc.!
    Electronics on other handy needs very careful attention with absolutley NO cutting corners on electronic component selection or on attention to detail when wiring other wise you'll speed all your time chasing Phantom noise and pulling your hair out.!!

Hi Jazz, thank for your welcome

Ive got a standard PC up in the loft, I'll dig it out and get Mach 3 on it, or is there something better I can use?.

Hi Jazz, thank for your welcome

Ive got a standard PC up in the loft, I'll dig it out and get Mach 3 on it, or is there something better I can use?.
    Ye but be damned If I'll tell ya if your who I think you are.!

I've got some ideas on my table, have bought some stepper motors, 23 for y and z and 34 for x, I'm looking at timing belt on the x and only running one motor,pic below

2 pieces of timing belt tensioned on either side of the table, goes round a couple of bearings to keep the belt tight around pulley and then upto the top belt, maybe small timing pulley on motor to gear down the ratio, then passing the timing belt over to the other side, down the shaft and similar belt assemble onto other side, should be easy to time up and keeps it tidy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	350.1 KB 
ID:	14894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	342.3 KB 
ID:	14895  

Thread Information