. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can anybody shed some light on what wire gauge / mm / mm2 wire should be used for control panel wiring, 240v AC, 24v DC and signal wires?

Some articles mention 14 AWG for mains AC and 16/18 AWG for DC / signal, but then it gets confusing with mm and mm2.

Thanks again

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Dibbley View Post
    Can anybody shed some light on what wire gauge / mm / mm2 wire should be used for control panel wiring, 240v AC, 24v DC and signal wires?

Some articles mention 14 AWG for mains AC and 16/18 AWG for DC / signal, but then it gets confusing with mm and mm2.

Thanks again
    0.5 mm or 0.75mm is more than enough as there is hardly any current drawn. for the DC low voltage side ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-03-2015 at 03:12 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thanks Clive, so I'm assuming 0.5 and 0.75 are mm2. Would that equate to the top two items on this page http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/Tri-Rated-Cable.html?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Dibbley View Post
    Thanks Clive, so I'm assuming 0.5 and 0.75 are mm2. Would that equate to the top two items on this page http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/Tri-Rated-Cable.html?
    Yes they are fine but for the signal cables to the limits etc I would go with screened ie 3 or 4 core CY 0.5mm type I have used cat5 inside the control box for the BOB to the drives. ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.

OK, can someone just cast their eyes over the main wiring for my cabinet ( attached image ), a little bit of reverse engineering from other diagrams on here and adapted to fit my needs i think?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel._mains.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	15102  

24V seems low for the power supply to the drivers. What is the max that the drivers can take and which motors are you using? ..Clive

Thread Information