. .

Thread: new member

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My experience with CNC started about 6 years ago, because I like to make my own tools for wood working (including but not limited to Panel saw, Dust collection, And others). When I saw the CNC on youtube, I new this would be the project for me. After much surfing on the web, I settled on the "Build Your Own CNC Machine" (a 2 foot by 4 foot model). I saw an expansion in my future (maybe 4 foot by 4 foot or larger) so I settled on four Nema 34 stepper motors 878oz. I know this is like putting a V-8 engine in a Volkswagon. The build went well. Long story short, the test did not go well. The Z axis lost steps on the up side. I ask questions in CNC message boards but was shunned and found no answers. After many weeks of trying the project was shelved. I have moved to the state of Florida upon retirement. I am in the process of re-wiring the CNC. I may have some questions later, for now I am reading the many threads here and look forward to interacting with you all.

Welcome!!! I'm sure if you post up some picures of your build etc then the folks here will respond with suggestions as to why it's losing steps and any other questions you may have...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by shipper506 View Post
    The build went well. Long story short, the test did not go well. The Z axis lost steps on the up side. I ask questions in CNC message boards but was shunned and found no answers. After many weeks of trying the project was shelved. I have moved to the state of Florida upon retirement.
    I'll do a deal with YOU.? We'll help you get working again and on right track and You send US some of that lovely Florida Sunshine to UK.!

Welcome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I'll do a deal with YOU.? We'll help you get working again and on right track and You send US some of that lovely Florida Sunshine to UK.!

Welcome.
    That is a deal I can live with.

Welcome, I'd love some of that sun too

From your introduction it sounds like you want to make a wood cutting machine and have fitted 4off Nema34 stepper but are loosing steps. Couple of things:

Nema 34 sounds a bit overkill for a wood machine - I've seen them specced for lifting the knee on a mill, but for a wood cnc machine you can lift a lot of weight with a Nema 23
    Nema 34 needs lots of voltage to make them work. It is possible you are under driving them. I've seen them specced on this site to run at 70V DC minimum, with a preference for direct mains drivers.
    Stepper motors can be wired in different ways (series, parallel) to change their output but only if the drivers can take the current

So without jumping to conclusions too early, I think the collective wisdom on here can help you out if you provide:

1. Stepper driver make, model, and most importantly voltage being used on each axis
    2. Drive system - all-thread, trapedoizal screw, ballscrew, rack and pinion, belt, other
    3. Linear motion - skate bearings, v-bearings, supported rail, linear profile rail, other

Also any photos of the machine, particularly the Z axis will be a great help.
    Last edited by routercnc; 21-03-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typos
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I'll answer the questions as best i can first, then the upgrades I've made, then pictures (if I can figure out how to add the pictures-including some of that Florida sun I promised)

Hi welcome to the forum, I have been a member for a while but only just started using it. The really knowledgeable people on here have been a great help to me so far.

STEPPER DRIVER
    1 pc Four-axis Driver Board HY-TB4DV-M (TB6560), 3.5a, 16 micsteps

STEPPER MOTORS
    Nema 34 stepper motor 878oz.in bipoler - step angle 1.8, Rate voltage 6.4, Rate Current (A) 2, Phase Resistance 3.2,Phase Inductance (mH) 15, Holding Torque (oz.in) 878, Rotor Inertia (kg.e?) 1.7

DRIVE SYSTEM
    Lead screws are 1/2 " 8 starts 1 turn=1"

Anti back lash on all axis

LINEAR MOTION
    skate bearings

WIRE
    18 gauge wire from driver board to stepper motors and 22 gauge wire to limit switches/e-stop

POWER SUPPLY
    350W 36v
    Last edited by shipper506; 20-03-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Well the first 2 lines says it all....TB6560 (by the way you're brave running it at 36V, surprised you've not had the magic smoke from it yet at!!!!) and Nema34 motors.

See this thread...http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/1373-...ghlight=TB6560

You're never going to get any sort of performance running Nema 34's with a TB6560. Nema 34's need 100V plus to get any sort of performance.....
    Last edited by njhussey; 20-03-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information