. .

Thread: new member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ok Ill keep trying - how about this combination for my existing unit? Ship from USA WAREHOUSE 3Axis Nema 34 Spindle Shaft & Nema23 Stepper Motor CNC . Ill use my existing 36VDC power supply for one of the stepper motor driver - DM542A so each Stepper motor driver will have its own power supply. (if someone explains how to attach pics, I will attach some)

(if someone explains how to attach pics, I will attach some)
    Have you tried using the (Go Advanced) button and then attachment paper clip symbol. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by shipper506 View Post
    Ok Ill keep trying - how about this combination for my existing unit? Ship from USA WAREHOUSE 3Axis Nema 34 Spindle Shaft & Nema23 Stepper Motor CNC . Ill use my existing 36VDC power supply for one of the stepper motor driver - DM542A so each Stepper motor driver will have its own power supply. (if someone explains how to attach pics, I will attach some)
    Well no not really because it's still using low quality components. For instance the motors have 9 & 22mh inductance which is way to high with only 36v & 60V.

Personally I'd forget the nema34 motor and go with nema23 all round. Buy drives that can handle 70-80v and run all motors from one 60-65Vdc PSU.
    Forget buying a Kit and buy individual parts that match each other best. Kits are nearly always a Mis-match of components.

Adding pictures can be done from Quick reply by selecting 3rd from end icon on toolbar at top. Then uploading.

Ok that sounds good - Where am I buying these components from?

Ok that sounds good - Where am I buying these components from?
    If you want to stay state side then try Kelling cnc http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/

yet another question - How do you pick the resolution to use (microsteps) for carving wood? Example: I have 2 DM542s and one DM860. DM542 range from 2 to 128 Microsteps and 400 to 25600 Step/rev.(for 1.8* motor). DM860 2 to 256 Microsteps and 400 to 25600 Step/rev.(for 1.8* motor).

yet another question - How do you pick the resolution to use (microsteps) for carving wood? Example: I have 2 DM542s and one DM860. DM542 range from 2 to 128 Microsteps and 400 to 25600 Step/rev.(for 1.8* motor). DM860 2 to 256 Microsteps and 400 to 25600 Step/rev.(for 1.8* motor).
    Ok well first 2 to 128 and 400 to 256000 are the same thing just using a different notation. Let me explain.!!

Typical Stepper motor needs 200 FULL steps for one revolution. (360/1.8=200) These FULL steps can be broken down into micro steps by the drive electronics.
    So first notation uses 2, 4, 8,16, 32, etc which means 2 x 200=400 micro steps or 4 x 200 = 800 microsteps etc.
    The second notation uses 400, 800, 1600, 3200 etc which is the result of the above calculation.

Both mean the same thing.

Now like most things CNC which is best isn't straight cut thing.? There are several factors which have to be considered and they don't relate to the type of work your doing with the machine.!! The things that affect micro stepping setting are the PC your using or better put the motion control device your using ie parallel port and the Machine it self.

The strength of the machine and Resonance can play a big part in what micro stepping works best for your machine and the motor/drive relation ship so resonance doesn't affect them and some trial and error can be needed to match your motors best.

Then you have the PC to consider, or more important the Max number of pulses your parallel port or motion control devise can reliably give out.! This is a very important consideration for relaibilty, accurecy and performance you'll get.
    If you set the micro stepping high then you'll require many many times more pulses to reach the same speed as a lower micro stepping setting. For instance a setting of 400ms will require 6666.666 pulses per second to reach 1000rpm at the motor. For the same 1000rpm with 1600MS you'll need 53,333.333 pulse per second
    If your pulse device ie parallel port then you'll only have limited amount of pulses available which with standard mach3 setting will be 25,000 pulses per second per axis.
    Has you'll see this is fine for the 400ms setting with some pulses to spare. But with 1600 you'll only have half the number needed to reach 1000rpm so therefore the Max speed you'll achieve is 500rpm. So going too high can limit speed depending on the Pulse rate the Motion control devise can output.

So you'd think OK I'll keep MS low but again it isn't always that simple as the closer you get to the FULL step of the motor the rougher the motor tends to run and resonance becomes a problem. This is why the Minimum MS amount is 400 or 2 x 200 as running full step isn't fun.

So higher MS helps to smooth out the motors and deal with resonance. The trick is picking a MS setting that suits the machine and resonance to give a nice smooth motor without stressing the pulse device.
    If you stress the pulse device and overtune the motors you'll lose steps and accurecy.

Common Setting is or starting point is 800ms or 4x and if the motors stall easily or sound resonant and rough running then try different setting.
    Remember every time you change MS setting you'll need to adjust the Steps per setting so machines moves correct distance.

Sorry for long explination but your better knowing why than just wondering why.!!

For some reason the thank you message did not go through so here it is - Thank You for that information. You have explained it well. The next problem I am having is setting up Mach3 Ports and Pins "Motor Outputs". The simplest way to ask this question is: Is there a way to determine which pin is motor and which pin is direction for each motor? What is printed on the breakout board is as follows:
    Pin Label
    2 Dir + X
    3 Dir - X
    4 Dir + Y
    5 Dir - Y
    6 Dir + Z
    7 Dir - Z

I have assumed the "+" is the "Step Pin#" and the "-" is the "Dir Pin#".
    (again Thank You All for listening to the ramblings of this old man)

Ok well you should have Dir and Step + & - for each axis. Or at least Dir & Step plus one more connection for either ground or 5V (often marked Vcc) depending on the connection type you choose on the drive. common Anode(NPN) or Common Cathode(PNP).

What BOB and Drive are you using.? I'll take a look for you.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 05-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.

OK if this worked you see what i call the brains of my CNC machine: pic1 is in it's sleep mode - pic2 working state - pic3 is the Dell computer - pic4 is the slide out that holds the power supplies, CNC stepper controllers , and the breakout board - pic5 is the breakout board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118 (2).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	15265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0117 (2).jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	15266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	15267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	15268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	15269  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information