. .
    Hi all,

Bit of a late intro so to speak. I went to register only to find I had already registered way back in 2011 when I bought my manual mill. Anyhow

I'm Dave, 43 from Dublin. Always been a tinkerer and have been dreaming of CNC for a looong time. So last month I decided to make that a reality and have a go at building my first machine.

Here's a couple of pics so far.

The electronics are one of those all in one ebay chinese kits. All worked well out of the box and as such I'm very pleased. The rails/bearings/leadscrews are one of the marchantdice kits, 800mmX 500mmY and 350mmZ all seem excellent quality. As you can see, a wood router hanging off the Z axis with "less than ideal" mounting. I'm looking at getting one of those 2.2kw chinese spindles to replace the wood router. From reading lots of threads on here it seems like a good option. I had considered something like the kress 1050 or one of the Suhner german routers but the noise thing has pretty much sold me on the chinese spindle.

I'm also very happy with the bench I build, it really is solid. Doubled 3/4" ply for the sides and top, If anyone needs something like this in a hurry here's my sketchup file for it.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17...ew?usp=sharing
    Took me half an afternoon to build.

My interests are astronomy and RC aircraft so an interest in home engineering is a natural progression of those two however in truth I think I enjoy building stuff as much as I do using the toys I build! As such I will need to cut anything up to aluminium. I won't ever need to cut anything harder. I was planning on replacing a lot of that MDF with more solid material, however adding the backplate added so much rigidity to the whole thing, I'm not sure I will need to. Apart from that temporary spindle mount, I can't see any obvious deflection when in use.

Anyway, I've babbled on long enough. Looking forward to hopefully contributing here in the future, I love the more relaxed feel here. Plenty of DIY'ers on here. When I was researching about the chinese spindles, I half expected them to be rubbished by the guys here, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the opinion is generally favourable.

Happy CNC'ing
    Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc1.jpg 
Views:	993 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	15013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2.jpg 
Views:	1017 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	15014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc3.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	15015  

Hi Dave,

that's cool!!!

My first (and still in use) router was built from MDF, and the Chinese 2.2KW spindle is the best thing about it! Have fun with it, and you'll learn a lot. Mostly, what you will do differently next time (and there will be a next time)

Hi Dave. Where are you based. I'm going to build a 2600 x 1400 model. Where did you buy your parts. Living near Tullamore.

Quote Originally Posted by aquila787 View Post
    Hi Dave. Where are you based. I'm going to build a 2600 x 1400 model. Where did you buy your parts. Living near Tullamore.
    Hi I'm in Raheny. I bought all of the hardware from the UK and China through EBay I probably should write up a build thread for this as it has grown even since I posted those pics with the addition of a 2.2kw spindle and vfd.

Yes a build thread would be great. Let us know what parts you used and from whom you bought them. Was postage/courier expensive. I'll bet it was nearly cheaper to get from China than UK. I would be interested in seeing your machine sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by aquila787 View Post
    Yes a build thread would be great. Let us know what parts you used and from whom you bought them. Was postage/courier expensive. I'll bet it was nearly cheaper to get from China than UK. I would be interested in seeing your machine sometime.
    Actually I've no patience whatsoever and I paid for DHL from China. Got the stuff in 5 days. Some of the UK suppliers (marchantdice) gave me free postage. The others were priced fairly. You would be welcome to pop over and chat CNC, drop me a p.m.

Dave.

Welcome from roscommon

Quote Originally Posted by alboy View Post
    Welcome from roscommon
    Welcome Dave,
    I don't have much Mach experience but plenty cutting Aluminium so don't ever be afraid to ask any questions. Without wanting to sound like I just posted to get in a shameless plug
    if you ever need any heavy duty bearing housings/ 20mm plate spindle mounts machined, feel free to drop me a line.

I started off innocently in CNC work at home with a hobby machine, then moved to a Bridgeport with CAD/CAM capabilities and a lathe and now I'm talking to the builder about pouring a 12" deep reinforced slab for a VMC. Tis a dangerous path once you are on it. My wife thinks I get carried away but as her sentences don't begin with G's and M's I don't really understand what she is saying.
    Noel.

HI dave, i'm building a cnc router at the mo. i 've had some great help and advice here from the experienced builders . my build is near completion , i hope! i hope to press the switch at the end of the week so fingers crossed. i don't have any Mach 3 exerience but hope to build up the experience once up and running. best of luck with you endeavours. Paulro

Thread Information