. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatoftheland View Post
    Thank you.
    Thats a lot of info I have to look at and understand. When ordering ballscrews do I just measure the old ones or is a preferred way of mounting and fixing them
    Cheers
    Jon
    Please don't take this wrong way jon but the fact you are asking these questions suggests you haven't done enough research and maybe you should take a step back before purchasing anything and checkout exactly what's involved with converting a manual mill to CNC.

Like I said further down in post #15 no one except those who have converted the exact same machine can answer your questions. Converting a manual mill all too often means you'll have to adapt and access your individual machine as there will be very few off the shelf parts which bolt straight on.
    Often you'll need bespoke end mounts to allow for clearence or at best adaptions to off the shelf units. Often you'll need adaptions to the table or frame to make room for the ballnut which is often larger than lead screw nut or mounted completely differently to how Lead nut fits.!

I would start by being honest with your self and asking if your capable of converting.??. . If answer is Yes then take a good hard look at your machine to see whats involved. Take measurements of clearences etc and then look at whats available or can be adapted.

Personally i'd start by doing much more research and checking what others have had to do to convert there mills to CNC.

Thanks Jazzcnc

I am definitely doing my homework on this, I haven't even bought the mill yet! I intend to convert the mill myself and at the very best quality I can afford. I will spend the next few months researching as much as possible and will bugging the life out of you guys on this forum. I am an electrical /mechanical engineer by trade so hopefully can pull it off! Its' just the terminology and sifting through the information that's proving difficult at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatoftheland View Post
    Thanks Jazzcnc

I am definitely doing my homework on this, I haven't even bought the mill yet! I intend to convert the mill myself and at the very best quality I can afford.
    Ah well when a I said don't buy anything yet that doesn't include the Mill.!!. . . . You'll need that bugger. Lol

Is there anybody who sell hardware to convert that mill - LongVersion?

Looking for ballscrews, mounting plates for: ballscrew, nuts and motors.
    Ideally if handle can remain so can be used as conventional mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J View Post
    Is there anybody who sell hardware to convert that mill - LongVersion?

Looking for ballscrews, mounting plates for: ballscrew, nuts and motors.
    Ideally if handle can remain so can be used as conventional mill.

I am working on that right now. Two versions in the pipeline, servo and expensive ballscrews, steppers and cheap ballscrews. Both with handles.

ATV the moment I am designing based on my EMV-25VBB but also have the parts that will allow use on the ama series.

The trick is not to have to machine the casting and that is what you can expect from my kit
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    I am working on that right now. Two versions in the pipeline, servo and expensive ballscrews, steppers and cheap ballscrews. Both with handles.

ATV the moment I am designing based on my EMV-25VBB but also have the parts that will allow use on the ama series.

The trick is not to have to machine the casting and that is what you can expect from my kit
    I understand that kit won't be kind of straight fit, as Y slide have to be machined to fit ballscrew nut.
    My idea of buying such a kit is to do minimum work and fairly quick change over, so kit have to be design and machined to exact mill - AMA25LV.
    I have control box with nema 34 motors and all home/limit switches.
    I decided to use cheap steppers with digital drive rather than servos as this machine is not accurate anyway so no point to spend extra money as I won't gain anything decent.

Please give mee the quote for mechanical parts:
    brackets/plates
    both ballscrews c5 or c3 and c7

Thanks
    Tom

Tom,

I do not know which kit you are refering to. I have a way to avoid machining the castings.

Nema 34's will be overkill but I will provide an adaptor if you are desperate to use the kit your bought.

As I said, I am developing it currently so pricing will come when it is all sorted.

Send me a PM with your email address an I will keep you informed of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Tom,

I do not know which kit you are refering to. I have a way to avoid machining the castings.

Nema 34's will be overkill but I will provide an adaptor if you are desperate to use the kit your bought.

As I said, I am developing it currently so pricing will come when it is all sorted.

Send me a PM with your email address an I will keep you informed of progress.
    Nama 34 would be for Z, Nema 24 for X and Y have to calculate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot2014-11-15at204550_zpsd2a2d599.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	20823
    I was refer to space for ballscrew nut - there is not enough room for even RM16
    Could you upload picture or give the link of your kit please?

Cheers
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J View Post
    Nama 34 would be for Z, Nema 24 for X and Y have to calculate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot2014-11-15at204550_zpsd2a2d599.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	20823
    I was refer to space for ballscrew nut - there is not enough room for even RM16
    Could you upload picture or give the link of your kit please?

Cheers
    Tom
    Not going to upload just yet to the public, but rest assured the I you will not need to machine the castings.

Lives in bristol, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 26-11-2017 Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 31. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Good day Jon

Leadshine is far to expensive for hobby machine like that. Machine spindle is not capable to do HSC, limit yourself for federates up to 2m/min >>ballnut drive = 400 rpm. More than enough.
    Any step motor driver with at least 64 steps can do approx sine curve, means you are on the safe side against resonance. Chose the motor which has enough torque also at highest speed, otherwise you will loose the steps.
    Backlash do not depend on the "C" class. It depends on the nut. For "diy" variants it is much cheaper to instal 2 nuts per axis (additional costs ca 30-60 GBP ) and pre-stress them for ca 10% of nominal load. Prestress ration can easily be checked with compactor and spring scale.

regards
    Last edited by fifa; 19-02-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information