. .

Thread: 5v power suply

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    hi all im back again, might seem a bit dumb of me but what would be the best way to get the 5v supply to the breakout board and drivers, i currently have a 5v supply from usb split to 1 b/board and 3 stepper drivers, would this be ok or can u recommend a better way. also i have done a basic mach setup and trial and all i can get the motors to do is turn about half a turn a min evan if i turn up all the velocity etc, im guessing i have done something wrong, please help

Quote Originally Posted by universally View Post
    hi all im back again, might seem a bit dumb of me but what would be the best way to get the 5v supply to the breakout board and drivers, i currently have a 5v supply from usb split to 1 b/board and 3 stepper drivers, would this be ok or can u recommend a better way. also i have done a basic mach setup and trial and all i can get the motors to do is turn about half a turn a min evan if i turn up all the velocity etc, im guessing i have done something wrong, please help
    Whilst I think that splitting the USB output to the BOB and drivers should be OK, when I did that on my machine I measured around 4V out of the USB which seemed a bit low. So to give it all the best chance of working I found a 5V supply on one of the cables in the PC (check some of the spare white molex plugs coming out of the power supply with a voltmeter to find one) and made up a lead to the BoB and drivers.

The other way to do it if you don't mind a bit of mains wiring is to use a switched mode power supply like this inside your control box:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mean-Well-...#ht_5621wt_986

As for the speed post a picture of the stepper and driver wiring - sounds like something is not right there. Unless you are in 'step mode' in Mach3? Press the tab key and look at the settings for the MPG -should be 'constant'. For reasons I have never got to the bottom of my Mach3 always starts in 'step' mode and I have to change it to 'constant'.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

thanks for the reply, yes i think im going to invest in the power supply from the link :) i think ive either got wiring issues or mach3 setup issues, there is i long starting delay (upto 5 seconds) when jogging (counters are going up but no motor movement initially) and motors run on a couple of seconds after, they dont seem to be smooth in motion, i will try and post pics tommoz as i have only done a test wiring, cables are not neat or in a box

Yes get your self 5vdc supply ASAP don't Trust USB for providing power to anything requiring constant supply like BOB or Drives it's not stable enough and prone to dropping out.

Where abouts are you in sheffield area.?

hi jazz, yes ill pic something up today, im near to worksop, not far off jct 30

Quote Originally Posted by universally View Post
    hi jazz, yes ill pic something up today, im near to worksop, not far off jct 30
    Ok well if your still having trouble and can't sort it then let me know and we'll see about coming over as your not million miles away.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

hi all, i purchased a 5v supply and have it hooked up, its still taking mach 3 well over a min to turn 1 revolution if it bothers to turn at all and has a 8 second delay befor it starts, ive watched numerous videos on the wiring and mach config but its not changing a thing

Thread Information