. .
    Hi everyone.
    I bought a home-built, secondhand machine just over 3 years ago. I've self-taught myself(was a complete novice) to use it and it has been working fine but now it's broken down and I could do with some advice as to where to start looking/what the problem may be please.
    Machine was running today for about a minute then just stopped. It says E-STOP ACTIVATED. I reset it, pressed 'run program' but nothing happened. I've checked wiring and cleaned all the dust etc out of it about a week ago(had running since then though). The following is some info on my machine:-
    It is a fixed gantry CNC machine
    Overall dimensions
    Wide 800mm, deep 900mm, height 1450mm
    Cuts approx 500mm x 400mm
    Components are:-
    Nema23 keling motors on all axis
    Controller gecko G540
    Running Mach3 program

Regards,
    Al

Start with the PC side:
    -LPT cables- the most likely culprit. had many times problems, check them with multimeter -fine, later problem. basically change the cable to check
    -Mach 3 , clean reinstall with the necessary restarts in between

When you are sure that these before work 100% start messing with the board. Check if all outputs inputs work ok. Especially the one that the Estop is wired to. "ENABLE" from software/ emulate/ if works like that its the cable of the Estop. Dont forget to disable that Estop emulation later.

That should be ok for starters.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Depending upon configuration E-stop can be caused by:

Pressing e-stop button(s) - but you've checked this
    Hitting one of the X, Y, or Z limits at the end of travel
    A broken cable anywhere in the e-stop cable run (i.e. failed safe)

On your BOB can you identify which pair of inputs controls the e-stop - it should tell you where to look in the Mach3 configuration port and pins.
    If you link a short wire across the e-stop pin and ground on the BOB and hit reset then you should be able to clear the e-stop temporarily (as a check). If this clears, then do not run the machine but instead remove the link and go and find the break in the e-stop cable runs.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Yes plus one. You could do with a continuity check for the estop circuit as a start. Put up some pics of the machine and a bit more info on the bob etc. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Depending upon configuration E-stop can be caused by:

Pressing e-stop button(s) - but you've checked this
    Hitting one of the X, Y, or Z limits at the end of travel
    A broken cable anywhere in the e-stop cable run (i.e. failed safe)

On your BOB can you identify which pair of inputs controls the e-stop - it should tell you where to look in the Mach3 configuration port and pins.
    If you link a short wire across the e-stop pin and ground on the BOB and hit reset then you should be able to clear the e-stop temporarily (as a check). If this clears, then do not run the machine but instead remove the link and go and find the break in the e-stop cable runs.
    Hi.
    I've investigated the problem further today. Getting a parallel cable tomorrow to try that BUT I have noticed something else that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    On the G540 control unit, I have the red fault light illuminated but no power light. There is good power to the unit, resulting in no motor movements. Checked all cables and all seem fine. Any ideas please?
    Best Regards,
    Alan

Hi.
    I've investigated the problem further today. Getting a parallel cable tomorrow to try that BUT I have noticed something else that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    On the G540 control unit, I have the red fault light illuminated but no power light. There is good power to the unit, resulting in no motor movements. Checked all cables and all seem fine. Any ideas please?
    Best Regards,
    Alan

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Did you do a continuity check of the estop circuit!! How about putting some pics up. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by 1albobs View Post
    Hi.
    Best Regards,

Alan
    Ok well the G540 needs continuity between pins 10 & 12 other wise Motors are disabled and why the Red light comes on, this is normally used for the E-stop circuit with normally closed switch. .!

Easy way to check this is to put a Jumper wire between pins 10 & 12. If this works then you have a broken wire or faulty switch. Pin 10 must go to ground which is Pin12 on G540 so if still not working then check the Ground wire not broke or loose.!

Thread Information