. .
    Hello guys , i am building a cnc router, my Y-axis travel gonna be 2600mm. First i decided to use a ballscrews RM2505 but now i am scared that my travel is too long and my ballscrews can cause vibrations on such a long distance. What is ur recommendation should i go with rack and pinion and what module ? Is a rotating ball nut rational to use in this case? Thanks in advance !

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.

Whic one is beeter to go , the RM2505 or RM2510?

Quote Originally Posted by masinecc View Post
    Whic one is beeter to go , the RM2505 or RM2510?
    Ok well if this for Wood router then you absolutley don't want Rm2505 as it will be far too slow.

Now because of the length of travel then I suggest you go with Rm2525 and use a ratio 2:1 on the screws. This will help you with length as the ratio means the screw is turning half the speed of Rm2510 but giving similair feedrate so less likely to whip and Vibrate. The ratio will increase torque and resolution but lower the RPM but because you have larger 25mm pitch then it will give roughly the same feeds has RM2510.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-04-2015 at 09:25 PM.

@Jazzcnc
    Why not to use rack and pinion?

Quote Originally Posted by masinecc View Post
    @Jazzcnc
    Why not to use rack and pinion?
    No reason but you asked about ballscrews so I answered about those.!

Rack and pinion is ok for a wood router if done correctly.!

I responded you in email, but will say it here also:

Dont be in a rush, read similar threads, that will help avoid mistakes, misunderstanding and wasting time of fellow forum members.

If you WANT IT NOW -pay somebody to draw that for you in cad and explain it to you. Otherwise take the correct way-start build thread, make some drawings and start resolving your doubts one by one.

If you expect to understand all in one night without reading similar builds and analysing them you will definitely make some mistake.

From the couple of emails we exchanged what i see is that you jump from one thing to another, i am not sure how to help you . I could give you drawings, tell you what you must or have to do. But what help is for you to copy somebodys build if you don't have the money to pay for the pieces or to make a machine that is intended for aluminum and use it to engrave wood?

You need to have clear:
    -what you need the machine for
    -what real life precision is ok for you
    -what travel xyz
    -speeds
    -what spindle
    -how much money you will spend for the build

So take a break, start from the beginning and we will help you. Otherwise you could run into a situation to have the same cash you have prepared for the whole your build as i have prepared for my breakout board and motors
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    I responded you in email, but will say it here also:

Dont be in a rush, read similar threads, that will help avoid mistakes, misunderstanding and wasting time of fellow forum members.

If you WANT IT NOW -pay somebody to draw that for you in cad and explain it to you. Otherwise take the correct way-start build thread, make some drawings and start resolving your doubts one by one.

If you expect to understand all in one night without reading similar builds and analysing them you will definitely make some mistake.
    Wise words spoke from experience gained in exactly the way suggested to you, so you'd be well advised to Listen to the Man.!! . . . Just don't take advise from Him about colours because I'm sure he's colur Blind.!. .Lol

Thread Information