. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all.
    On my G540 control unit, I have the red fault light illuminated but no power light. There is good power to the unit, resulting in no motor movements. Checked all cables and all seem fine. Any ideas please?
    Best Regards,
    Alan

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1albobs View Post
    Hi all.
    On my G540 control unit, I have the red fault light illuminated but no power light. There is good power to the unit, resulting in no motor movements. Checked all cables and all seem fine. Any ideas please?
    Best Regards,
    Alan
    I don't think you are helping yourself by asking the same questions in different posts as all the information will not be together. Clive

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8613-...-NEEDED-PLEASE!!!!

You should check posts #3,#4, and #8 which suggest you short out the e-stop pins on the break out board. As Jazz advises this is pins 10 and 12.

If you are hesitating because you are unsure about electrics then -
    You need a short length of cable, with the last bit of insulation removed.
    Turn off all power to the box and unplug it from the mains.
    Wait a minute or two for any discharging to finish.
    Secure one end of the cable into the screw terminal for pin 10 and the other end into the terminal for pin 12.
    Stand clear, and plug in and switch on.
    The red light/estop may clear.
    This is a 2 minute job so if this does not work then report back.
    Last edited by routercnc; 13-04-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Another reason may be that the charge pump switch could be set to on. Without a charge pump signal being sent the g540 will remain inactive
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Another reason may be that the charge pump switch could be set to on. Without a charge pump signal being sent the g540 will remain inactive
    Machine was working so doubt it will be Charge pump unless the Parallel port as gone Tits up.! (Which does happen)

Alan charge pump is safety function where the G540 will only turn on it's outputs if it see's set frequency coming from the Parallel port. So you must have the parallel port cable plugged into PC other wise the G540 won't see the signal and remain inactive. To eliminate this from the search you can turn it off using the little switch in the bottom right corner.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Hi all. been trying various suggestions all afternoon with no real success. I tried bridging connection 10 to 12 and the 1st time I tried this, I had movement. Connected everything back up again (as it was originally) and tried it again; this time with no movement at all. The counters are moving on Mach3(all axis) when pressing up, down etc but no physical movement. I've tested the earth and it is good. There is no obvious damage to any wiring/cables. Fault light is still on the G540(as previously mentioned). Tested with test light on terminal 10 and get slight illumination(suggesting some power is there). Not sure what reading I should be getting on a test light though? Tried with charge pump on and also off and not made any difference. I have tested wiring on limit switches- have power going in and going out and breaks when switches are activated, until I get to last switch where I have 2 power(in and out). Not sure if this is correct? I've tested the E-STOP power switch and it is working as it should when tried. That's as far as I have got so far. Any further suggestions would be welcome please. :)

Further update- when charge pump off on switch, I have a green light on the G540 and motors engage(but don't move). When charge pump is on, the red fault light comes on again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1albobs For This Useful Post:

Hi all. been trying various suggestions all afternoon with no real success. I tried bridging connection 10 to 12 and the 1st time I tried this, I had movement. Connected everything back up again (as it was originally) and tried it again; this time with no movement at all.
    When you say tried jumper wire first time have you tried jumper wire since re-connecting orginal wires and now it doesn't.?

Can you post some pics of wiring.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    When you say tried jumper wire first time have you tried jumper wire since re-connecting orginal wires and now it doesn't.?

Can you post some pics of wiring.!
    UPDATE:- Problem sorted!!! Thanks all for your help/advice.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    UPDATE:- Problem sorted!!! Thanks all for your help/advice.
    And the problem was!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information