. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi all, I am very new to the group, But I have spent many hours reading through the threads, I am building just a hobbyist level CNC hot wire foam cutter for my personal use, whilst I am building the hardware I have been saving for the electronics, So far I have purchased the motors 4x Nema23 DC24v 12.6Kgcm 2.8amp.

I am a little unsure about the 'all in ones' driver and controller, especially the older TB6560 (crappy, waste money), from what I read the TB6600 are a bit better, but still a few problems, I also do not have a computer with a Parallel port and the UC100 USB motion controller is expensive ($170 AUS), so I have narrowed down my choice and would really appreciate some guidance and suggestions or links to threads (that I may have missed).

Controller; http://www.goodluckbuy.com/4-axis-us...win7-8-xp.html

Driver; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DM542A-2-...item3cf45e4601

Or El-cheapo; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400738287...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All in one option; http://www.goodluckbuy.com/ddmdlv1-u...ver-board.html
    and; http://www.goodluckbuy.com/ddmdt-4-a...rd-200khz.html

Please tell me what you are thinking regarding the items I have come up with so far.

Many Thanks.

1. Once i have bought a Chinese no name Breakout Board similar to that. I could not make it work at all. So No Name is a big NO.

-Solution - Look for Leadshine all in one board and drivers, DSP.

2. Buying from people that sell beauty creams and watches with the only purpose to save 5$ is another big NO.

-Solution-BST Automation Aliexpress

There are cheap BOBs out there but you will not see any reputable seller, Chinese or other sell crappy boards and drivers. Why? Cause he can not permit to waste later his time dealing with the constant problems they will produce.

Following that line of thought if you have the time to deal with crappy boards then buy and experiment. Otherwise - do the right thing and don't underestimate the importance of the BOB for the machine.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

[QUOTE=silyavski;68751]1. Once i have bought a Chinese no name Breakout Board similar to that. I could not make it work at all. So No Name is a big NO.

-Solution - Look for Leadshine all in one board and drivers, DSP.

Is this the Product ? is there a USB version available. http://leadshineusa.com/productDetail.aspx?model=MX4660

2. Buying from people that sell beauty creams and watches with the only purpose to save 5$ is another big NO.

-Solution-BST Automation Aliexpress Saved, looks very good thanks

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I have used this one and found it to be very good.

http://leadshineusa.com/productdetai...X&model=MX3660

You could fit a PP in your computer and try it. ..Clive

5. What control software are you wanting to use? LinuxCNC, Mach3, Mach4, or something a bit different. IF using Mach4, PMDX has an all in one that is not cheap but will do what you need and without the problems that the chinese boards are known for. Better to save up and buy what will work for a good while. Also DIYCNC out of the UK have some good boards that have a very good track history. Down side is shipping for you. Going the cheap route will bite in what you get out in production. Your electronics are one of the more important parts, as that is where your resolution and accuracy as far as steps and movement start.

Go to cheap on that end and you end up paying for it until replaced and it is not a road to go down.

Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Thanks Clive, I have a Macbook so no chance of a PP, We don't have a windows based PC anywhere in the house. I looked at the link and selected the 4 axis version, It looks very very nice, it is definitely on the shortlist now. I think I will forget about cheap Chinese and try to find a reasonably price alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    What control software are you wanting to use? LinuxCNC, Mach3, Mach4, or something a bit different.

MACH3

Also DIYCNC out of the UK have some good boards that have a very good track history. Down side is shipping for you.

Surprisingly the shipping from UK is good, I will defiantly check them out, Thanks

Going the cheap route will bite in what you get out in production. Your electronics are one of the more important parts, as that is where your resolution and accuracy as far as steps and movement start.

Go to cheap on that end and you end up paying for it until replaced and it is not a road to go down.

I'm picking up what you're putting down :)

Michael

Thanks Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by mordy View Post
    Thanks Clive, I have a Macbook so no chance of a PP, We don't have a windows based PC anywhere in the house. I looked at the link and selected the 4 axis version, It looks very very nice, it is definitely on the shortlist now. I think I will forget about cheap Chinese and try to find a reasonably price alternative.
    Do your self a favor and buy a cheap PC just for running the CNC machine.! Mixing home PC with CNC PC is bad idea unless your using a very good Motion control card which are not cheap. (USB isn't good enough)
    Reason for this is that CNC machine requires uninterrupted pulses with no outside intereference from other installed software or power mangement etc. USB isn't very good for motion control at best of times for a few technical reasons but Esp on systems that have lots of software installed that want to check out the system.

Programs like Quick time, Adobe, Java etc installed by software to work all want a piece of the hardware and memory etc so they work in the back ground checking and testing what resources etc available.
    This interfears badly with the pulse train and causes all sorts of problems for CNC machine so your best having it's own PC with Clean windows install and minimal software installed.
    USB is OK if used on setup like this so that can turn off all power mangement etc and stop it dropping power but on stuffed up PC full of crap then it will dropout and do all sorts of very frustrating things.

The advise so far not to buy Cheap components is very sound advise learnt the hard way in somes cases.!! . . So taking this route Will save you money in long run BUT better still if possible is to buy local for support. So With you being in Aus then i'd recommend speaking with Peter Homann and buying a Gecko G540 from him. This is a very nice all in one board that will easily do what you want. Peter Knows is stuff and doesn't sell Rubbish.
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/

Don't cut corners it's really not worth the hassle.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-04-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    The advise so far not to buy Cheap components is very sound advise learnt the hard way in somes cases.!! . . So taking this route Will save you money in long run BUT better still if possible is to buy local for support. So With you being in Aus then i'd recommend speaking with Peter Homann and buying a Gecko G540 from him. This is a very nice all in one board that will easily do what you want. Peter Knows is stuff and doesn't sell Rubbish.
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/

Don't cut corners it's really not worth the hassle.!
    Wow That' awesome, I spoke to Peter this morning, he is a great guy, very helpful and he has the stuff I need at a good price, I decide on the Gecko G540 as you and he suggested, looks really nice, I am very happy. Also he is just 5 min drive from my house.

Now the only thing is the parallel port issue, I'll have to do a bit more research on that to explore the options, as the smooth stepper or UC100 are going to add $200+ to the build.

I hear what you say regarding the PC and interruptions etc, Ideally I would love the MACH3 on my Macbook Pro under parallels (emulation or virtual PC) using the USB and assigning it all resources when running, but I need to see what others are doing, and if they are being successful.

I am open to more suggestions on that, Thanks so much to all.
    Last edited by mordy; 21-04-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Hi Mordy

Glad to see that you have found a supplier for your electronics. I suggest that you take Jazz's advice and buy a cheap(ish) PC to use as your CNC controller. This is the direction I went and got an old Dell GX620 and installed Windows XP on it (I already have OS licenses). The PC cost me £30 including shipping and does the job brilliantly. After installing XP and applying all the service patches, it is a locked down configuration and not connected to the Internet or home network. This is the best way to work with Mach3 etc. I transfer the G-code on a usb stick. No issues here. The old Dell GX620 are the business range computers and are very reliable. It came fully tested and all I had to do was to get rid of the excess dust inside. I might reseat the CPU heatsink with some fresh thermal compound - but thats a later job.

Need to get my CNC router project assembled and running!

Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeyC38; 21-04-2015 at 01:44 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeyC38 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information